Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Reading Bonanza!

by Anna Campbell

Firstly, happy Holidays to everyone! And I hope 2014 is a wonderful year for all of us.

Thank you so much to everyone who's swung by to read my posts here and especially those lovely people who left comments during the year. And thanks to Lee for hosting this fun blog!

2013 was a terrifically busy year for me - I feel like I haven't stopped since I was wishing everybody happy new year last January.

So I'm very much looking forward to a few days off between Christmas and New Year. Here in Australia, Christmas falls in midsummer so instead of snow and sweaters, we have beaches and sweat! My plan at this stage is to grab the TBR pile and make some serious inroads before I get into a new project.

So I thought for my final blog of the year, I might give you some idea of the books I'm looking forward to reading over that week of sloth.

This last year, I've read a lot of mysteries, but it seems I'm going (almost) solidly romance for my holiday. The one exception is a couple of the charming Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton to which I've recently become addicted. I'm up to books 12 and 13, AUNT DIMITY GOES WEST and AUNT DIMITY: VAMPIRE HUNTER.

But on to the romance.

First up, I've got three Karina Bliss SuperRomances waiting for me. I love Karina's writing - if you haven't read WHAT THE LIBRARIAN DID, grab it. It's a wonderful story.

Also on the SuperRomance front, I've discovered a Sarah Mayberry hidden in my TBR pile. Hurrah! SUDDENLY YOU looks like Sarah's usual wonderful mixture of aching emotion, sizzling sexual tension and memorable characters.

I've got a couple of longer romances from favorite Australian writers waiting for me.

I love Bronwyn Parry's award-winning romantic suspense stories set in very vividly described outback Australia. I've got her latest DARKENING SKIES calling to me right now. Can't wait.

Cathryn Hein writes wonderful rural romance. I picked up her latest,  HEARTLAND, a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to dive in yet.

I've been stockpiling marvelous historical romance author Nicola Cornick's Scandalous Women of the Ton books for just such a time as this when I can wallow in her richly imagined and sensual Regency world. I've loved the first few in the series.

If I've got any time spare after all those, I've got a Nora Roberts omnibus, CHARMED, to look forward to. I recently read Nora's NORTHERN LIGHTS and loved it. 

So do you take a break over the Holidays? Are you looking forward to reading anything in particular? 

To add to your Christmas reading, I'm giving away a download (international) of my Christmas novella THE WINTER WIFE to someone who comments today. Good luck!

19 comments:

Laurie G said...

Hi Anna,

Luckily 3 of my sons are flying up for Christmas and for my nephew's wedding December 21. I do plan on fitting in some reading time in the morning before everyone gets up. We have a trip to a public museum and the state capital to hear a Christmas concert. Time for reading will be scarce. They all leave on December 27 so most of my reading will be done after they leave.

Happy Holidays!

Anna Campbell said...

Laurie, I'm not doing much until Christmas Day is out of the way but then I intend to wallow! Hope you have a lovely time with all your plans - they sound like fun.

Anna Campbell said...

Much reading that is! Like everybody else in the Western World, I'm doing lots up until Christmas! Such a busy time of year.

Annie West said...

Anna, it looks like you're going to have a ball over Christmas! There's nothing like relaxing after a big celebration with some great reading. Personally I'm champing at the bit to pick up a couple of books including Christina Brooke's 'The Greatest Lover Ever', another 1930's Aussie set mystery by Sulari Gentil called 'Miles Off Course' and 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' by a new to me author, Alan Bradley.

Someone is going to have a lovely Christmas treat with your 'Winter Wife'. Loved that one!

Annie West said...

Anna, it looks like you're going to have a ball over Christmas! There's nothing like relaxing after a big celebration with some great reading. Personally I'm champing at the bit to pick up a couple of books including Christina Brooke's 'The Greatest Lover Ever', another 1930's Aussie set mystery by Sulari Gentil called 'Miles Off Course' and 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' by a new to me author, Alan Bradley.

Someone is going to have a lovely Christmas treat with your 'Winter Wife'. Loved that one!

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks so much for saying you enjoyed TWW, Annie. I loved writing that story - it was my first reunion story!

Ooh, lovely list of reading for Christmas. I'm looking forward to reading Christina's book too - she very kindly gave me a copy ahead of time but after I'd written this post or it would have featured in lights. I saw Sulari Gentil speak at a Brisbane Writers Festival. She's fascinating!

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

I should be baking... but I'm reading lots of Christmas!!! plus now I'm getting a cold!

Anna Campbell said...

Oh, no! There's a whole stack of nasties doing the rounds here - whooping cough is rife where I live and down in Brisbane, chicken pox is going through everyone. Not what you want at Christmas time!

Connie said...

Hi, Anna! It has been a good year and I’m thankful to have been healthy and happy during it. As for taking a break - well, since I’m retired, I take a break every day. ;-) Our son will be joining us for Christmas and that’s such fun.

I have a lot of reading I’m looking forward to including your novel, "The Winter Wife” and am most which I have not read as yet. As a bookaholic, I am always delighted every day to wake up and reach for a book. Who needs much else?

Happy Holidays to you, my friend. Hope yours is fabulous.

Anna Campbell said...

Connie, thanks so much for all your wonderful support this year. It's been such fun getting to know you! I love what you say about having a book to reach for every day and that being such a contributor to happiness. Couldn't agree more! I hope you and your family have a marvelous Christmas!

Cathy P said...

Hi, Anna! I have a lot of books on my TBR shelf, and am reading one a day. The Winter Wife is one I would love to read soon. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Hope you don't end up sick with alll the bugs going around. I am coming down with a cold and taking Vitamin C.

Anna Campbell said...

Cathy, another person coming down with a bug? What rotten timing! Hope it doesn't bite too hard and you have a lovely Christmas! Glad to hear you're attacking the TBR!

Beautiful Disaster said...

I'm taking a break for the holidays although I know I will stay very busy with my family of 8. We enjoy cooking for the holidays. We cook for ourselves and others and have a great time doing it. I hope to get some new books for the holidays and catch up on others :)
Hope you have a great holiday as well.
Lori

Anna Campbell said...

Hi Lori! Eight is plenty to keep you busy! I hope you have a lovely time with them over the festive season. Thanks for the holiday wishes. I'm still wondering where 2013 went!

Susanne Bellamy said...

I've a huge TBR 'pile' on Kindle ready for lazing at the beach next week. I loved your Grosvenor Square Xmas set of stories; they were delightful and will be reading them again to help the Xmas mood! For now, I just want to get through the last day at work!

Anna Campbell said...

Susanne, thanks for swinging by - hope you have a wonderful peaceful Christmas! Thanks for saying you enjoyed the Grosvenor Square collection. That was such fun to do!

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks so much to everyone who swung by. Happy Holidays to you all. I'm delighted to announce that the winner of the download of THE WINTER WIFE is Laurie G! Congratulations, Laurie! I've contacted you privately.

Anna Campbell said...

Laurie, I thought I might have your email address and I don't. Could you please email me on anna @ annacampbell.info (no spaces) and let me know what format you'd like your book in? Thanks a bunch. Congratulations!

Laurie G said...

THANK YOU! I sent the e-mail. Sorry for the delay. When we are away from home my e-mail time is limited.