Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Dianne Duvall: Alpha Males and Strong Women


Alpha males are very prominent figures in paranormal romance, because we readers simply can’t get enough of them.  I recently asked visitors of my blog what appealed to them the most about alpha males.  The traits they mentioned are all of the ones I like myself: 

The strength and power alpha males wield, which can be considerable in paranormals.  Loyalty.  Bravery.  The willingness to sacrifice everything to protect those they love.  Intelligence.  I admit this is a big one for me.  All brawn and no brain, as they say, does not appeal to me in the least.  Compassion.  (There has to be a soft spot in those tough hides.)  A sense of humor.  My favorite alpha males – even the tortured ones – have teasing natures and spark laughter in their heroines.  Determination.  Enough confidence to admire the women who come to their rescue.  A handsome face and a great body.  (I thought about leaving the latter off the list, but who would I be kidding?)  And a protective nature.

You’ll find that Bastien, the hero of PHANTOM SHADOWS, has all of these qualities.  Some of the other characters in my Immortal Guardians series may dispute this, though.  He isn’t exactly in their good graces, since Bastien entered my series as a villain.  My goal with Bastien was to create an atypical villain, someone readers would happily root against, yet couldn’t quite hate.  By the time I finished writing DARKNESS DAWNS (Immortal Guardians Book 1), I not only found I couldn’t hate him myself.  I found myself wanting to redeem him, as did many readers.  Now Bastien’s world has been turned upside down and he reluctantly finds himself working ALONGSIDE the very immortals with whom he once waged war.  Needless to say, his integration into their ranks is not going smoothly.  So I decided I would give Bastien what I think ALL alpha males need:  a strong woman to stand beside him.

Dr. Melanie Lipton is that woman.  One might not think it upon first glimpsing her.  Average height.  Slender build usually clad in unremarkable jeans, a T-shirt, and Chuck Taylor high top sneakers.  Bookish.  Quiet.  A doctor who works for the human network that aids the Immortal Guardians, Melanie searches for a cure for the virus that infects both immortals and vampires.  A virus that rapidly drives vampires – humans who have been infected – insane.  (Immortals are gifted ones – men and women born with advanced DNA – who have been infected and are spared the madness.)  Most would imagine Melanie spending all of her time in a lab with test tubes and various machines most of us wouldn’t be able to identify.  But there is more to her than meets the eye. 

Melanie possesses all of the characteristics above that readers love so much in alpha males . . . and will need them once Bastien enters her life.  She is strong in more ways than one.  In terms of fighting skills, she is one of very few mortals who can hold her own in hand-to-hand combat with vampires.  To further her research, she even works with two vampires who could have psychotic breaks at any moment and attack her, a courageous endeavor her male colleagues forgo.  She has never given in to peer pressure in her life and isn’t about to do so now, not even when that pressure is applied by incredibly powerful immortal beings who want Bastien dead for past dark deeds.  Instead of going with the flow, Melanie looks past all of the rumors regarding Bastien’s supposed evil to the good, yet scarred man beneath and appoints herself his champion.

Bastien doesn’t know what to make of her.  He isn’t used to having an ally and doesn’t understand why Melanie would risk raising her voice to support him while everyone else calls for his execution.  She is stubborn, smart, and beautiful.  She makes him laugh and feel SO much.  Melanie knows exactly what, or whom, she wants and doesn’t hesitate to pursue him.  And his resistance swiftly begins to crumble beneath the onslaught of her kindness and teasing nature.  An alpha male to his core, Bastien wishes to protect her, but doesn’t know how he can do so when HE poses the greatest danger to her.  Or so he thinks . . . until a new enemy – one the Immortal Guardians could never anticipate – rises and threatens everything. 

PHANTOM SHADOWS

Dr. Melanie Lipton is no stranger to the supernatural. She knows immortals better than they know themselves, right down to their stubborn little genes. So although a handsome rogue immortal seems suspicious to her colleagues, Sebastien Newcombe intrigues Melanie. His history is checkered, his scars are impressive, and his ideas are daring. But it's not his ideas that have Melanie fighting off surges of desire. . .

Bastien is used to being the bad guy. In fact, he can't remember the last time he had an ally he could trust. But Melanie is different--and under her calm, professional exterior he senses a passion beyond anything in his centuries of experience. Giving in to temptation is out of the question--he can't put her in danger. But she isn't asking him . . .

So, what do you think?  Do alpha males need strong women?  Who is your favorite alpha male / strong female couple?  Leave a comment below to enter to win a signed copy of PHANTOM SHADOWS, the third book in my Immortal Guardians series, which is both a New York Times and USA Today Bestseller. 

Thanks for joining me!
Dianne

Dianne's Website:  http://www.dianneduvall.com

***Dianne's winner is Denise Z!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

42 comments:

Lory Lee said...

1. An alpha male needs a strong woman to match his spirit, one that doesn't cower around and the one that will help him (if he allows it :D)

2. An alpha male needs a sweet woman to soften him, to show his vulnerability and to take care of him.

I think either of the two. :D

Eli Yanti said...

I think he need strong female, so they can work together

my favorite couple right now is katherine katt and jeff martini from alien series by gini koch

Stefanie said...

Most of the time I do think an alpha male needs a strong female who doesn't cower when he shouts and who dares to speak her mind.
But sometimes it's nice to read how the male gives his female the strength and the courage to learn to stand up for herself, while she teaches him not to be afraid to love someone...

Pat Cochran said...

I look at the situation from the opposite
view. As a strong female, she needs that
alpha male at HER side as much as he needs
her. Together they meld their strengths to
present a positive front to the world.

Pat C.

Ann S. said...

I do think an Alfa male needs a strong female. My favorite couple is Kat and Bones from Jeanienne Frost's books. They are both such strong independent people, but use each other recognizing each others strengths.

erin said...

Thanks for the fun post and congrats on the newest release! I think that an alpha male definitely needs a strong woman otherwise he'd walk all her. Your heroines are perfect examples of women who are strong enough to handle the alpha males but yet able to let them "take" care of them too!

donnas said...

I do think an alpha male needs a strong female. They wont be happy nor challenged by someone who is weak.

My favorites are Cat and Bones and Eve and Roarke.

Denise Z said...

I definitely think the alpha male needs a strong woman to add balance otherwise there would be no challenge. She also needs to be intelligent. I am going to switch to a couple from an oldie but goodie - Judith and Ian from The Secret by Julie Garwood. Both of these characters offer strength, compassion, intelligence, and at times great humor. Thank you for the fun post and I wish you every success with your new release.
dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

Mary Preston said...

A strong hero needs a strong heroine. It's makes for a good match up. I've always liked Cat & Bones from Jeaniene Frost's NIGHT HUNTRESS books.

laurie said...

An alpha male needs a sweet woman to soften him, to show his vulnerability and to take care of him.

pamerd said...

Hi

I think a strong woman is needed for an alpha male - keeps them in line.
My favorite is Mercy and Adam from Patricia Briggs novels.

Thanks for the chance
Pam
tpibrew@msn.com

Anonymous said...

I think an alpha male can make a good couple with both a sweet/shy woman or a strong one.
A strong woman will be able to keep up with him and their relationship will be provocative and challenging.
A quiet girl on the other hand will give him the opportunity to relax and the occasion to mellow; their relationship will be gentle and peaceful.
I think they're both good options :)
Anyway my favorite alpha male/strong female couple is Bones & Cat from The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost.

Giulia Anna
kaya_kuro.neko@yahoo.it

Redamarie said...

Yes, yes and yes! I think it goes both ways and we each need that one person to let us take charge and turn around then take charge them self when needed.

avashawn@mac.com

Thank you,
Amy

Liesa Manis said...

Love the Alpha Males!! And a strong woman is the best choice to be by their sides!!
Thank you for the giveaway!!

jmcgaugh said...

Yes, they do need strong women. My favorite alpha couples are Cat & Bones and Kate & Curran.

Martha Lawson said...

Yes, they need a strong woman! I can't stand a wimpy heroine. Thanks for the chance.

Dianne Duvall said...

I think Melanie has just the combination of strength and sweetness that Bastien needs. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I haven't heard of that series. I'll have to look it up. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Melanie already has the courage to stand up for herself, but Bastien wouldn't have found love without her. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Well said. I agree. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

They're a favorite of many paranormal readers. I've only had a chance to read the first book and look forward to reading the others. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Thanks, Erin! I do like strong heroines. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Hi, Donna! I know Cat and Bones, but not Eve and Roarke. I'll have to look those two up. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Thank you Denise! I think The Secret was one of the first historical romances I ever read and hooked me on Julie Garwood books. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Cat & Bones are a very popular choice. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

Sweet women do tend to bring out alpha males' soft sides. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I'm not familiar with Mercy and Adam. I'll have to look them up. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I agree, Kaya. The heroine in the second book in my series - Night Reigns – is very sweet and shy, but teases the hero mercilessly and is absolutely ferocious on the battlefield. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

So true. I agree, Amy. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I love them, too, Liesa! Thanks for entering!

Dianne Duvall said...

I'm not familiar with Kate and Curran. I'll have to look them up. :-)

Dianne Duvall said...

I prefer strong heroines, too. :-) Thanks for entering!

Allie said...

Alpha men absolutely need a strong woman. The woman needs to have the confidence that they are pefect just the way they are and ability to trust her man completely even in "grey" situations. I love Logan and Tara from Belong to me...." Shayla Black"

Lisa W said...

An Alpha completely needs a strong woman! Sometimes he has to lend her some strength or confidence for her to find her own inner strength, but it has to be there!
modularmates(at)comcast(dot)net

elizabeth said...

I do believe alpha males need strong women, and once they find them, they complete each other. One of the best examples is Hawke and Sienna from the Psy-Changling series by Nalini Singh.

Thanks for the giveaway,
Elizabeth Gray
elizabethgr@sbcglobal.net

Anonymous said...

My favorite alpha male is Marcus with Ami at his side he is unstopable. Although he started out wanting nothing to do with her, she proved herself capable of handling not only the vampires, but his attitude to be suicidal. Their love has surpassed the Realm. I can't wait to see their outcome.

Steelerlady2379 said...

Yes every alpha male needs a strong alpha female!!! And when this connection finds one another, it is called soul mates!
Thank you for the giveaway!
Happy reading and writing*
Teresa
morris1963tess@yahoo.com

Diane said...

So the alpha male needs a strong woman that won't give in to his every command and the strong woman needs a man that can treat her as an equal even when taking care of her.

diane dot sadler at gmail dot com

Di said...

I don't think any strong man would want a wimpy woman - I know I don't like to read about them!

sallans d at yahoo dot com

*yadkny* said...

Of course alpha males need strong women! :) I think the first strong female that comes to mind is Anita Blake... and she's surrounded by alpha males of all types of creatures.

yadkny@hotmail.com

Liz said...

I definitely think that alpha males need strong women. But I also think that some strong women don't appear strong on the outside. I think this is the case with Ami and Marcus. She's one tough cookie but that's not the first thing that people see about her. :)

Lizardo94 at yahoo.com

Holly V said...

The books sound great thank you. Will look for this series next..