Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Robyn DeHart: The Enduring Appeal of the Legend

I’m often asked what was the inspiration behind my Legend Hunters series and all I can say is I’ve always loved mythology and antiquities and the like. There are so many mysteries out there that I find intriguing and there is something so fascinating about legends that have caused enduring curiosity. The older the legend, it seems the more intriguing it is.

I mean who doesn’t love the Arthurian legends with Excalibur and King Arthur and his chivalrous knights? And then there’s Robin Hood, another fascinating tale and it’s so like mankind to cheer for the underdog. There is a reason we have so many movies about these subjects, people are always interested. And we can’t forget about all of the fabled treasures? Rumors and stories of hidden caves and chests and whatnot filled with gold and gems and other lovely sparkly things. It doesn’t matter if you’re talking about Solomon’s mines or the El Dorado, people love stories of treasure hunts.

My love of so many legends and myths made it quite challenging to select those I would write about. I’ve always been interested in Greek Mythology so Pandora’s Box seemed a must and though it wasn’t the first legend I thought of, it did inspire the first book in the series, SEDUCE ME. It seemed the perfect storyline for an adventure romance. Atlantis actually was the first myth I thought of in relation to the series so I knew I would have to write a book about that lost continent. Who isn’t fascinated by tales of lands and cities that are no more? It pulls on most of us, I think. Perhaps that’s why researchers are still looking for the land, still trying to prove Atlantis actually existed. You can read about my version of the Atlantis legend in DESIRE ME.

In TREASURE ME, the final installment in my Legend Hunters series we leave London and travel to the highlands of Scotland, to Loch Ness. It’s about Graeme, a man torn between the duty of his family name (his English side) and his love of his heritage (his Scottish side), and his quest to find the Stone of Destiny. Vanessa has just fled from London, running away from her wedding after finding her fiancé in a compromising situation with her younger sister. She’s decided it’s time for her to focus on her research, she’s a paleontologist and Loch Ness is the perfect place to make a good find. Toss in a marriage of convenience, a treasure hunt and a bloodthirsty villain and you’ve got a high-octane read that will keep you at the edge of your seat until you reach the end.

So how about your, what are your favorite myths that you just never get enough of (whether in books or movies)?

Thanks so much for having me today.

9 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

I love hearing about Pandora's Box or Atlantis. I also like the Bermuda triangle, but not as sure that would be called a myth.

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

I love the idea of weaving the mystery behind Atlantis into a book. What a great twist to insert it into a historical! I'm so intrigued now that I just added your 3 myth books to my Amazon wish list for purchase soon. :-)

Mary Anne Landers said...

Thank you for your post, Robyn. I too am fascinated by myths and legends. I can't list the ones I think should inspire novels or films because there are too many of them.

Actually, I'd read or watch someone's interpretation or updating of just about any myth. Much depends on the way it's handled. That includes how true it is to the spirit of the original story.

Next time I'm at a book store I'll be sure to pick up some of your novels. Keep up the good work!

Robyn DeHart said...

I'm so glad others share my interest in legends. Bermuda triangle - hadn't even thought of that one.

I hope y'all enjoy my Legend Hunters.

Pat Cochran said...

For our family it is Robin Hood,
especially the animated Disney
version which the children have
now shared with their youngsters
in it's many written and film
versions. Another favorite for
the whole family is King Arthur's
Round Table and Camelot.

Pat Cochran

Robyn DeHart said...

Oh, I love the Disney animated Robin Hood, one of my favorite Disney movies. It's just so charming and wonderful.

Michele L. said...

Oh I love anything related to Altlantis! I bet your story is fantastic with the mysterious atmosphere of Atlantis lurking in the background. Gosh when I read your post it made me think of Easter Island and those head statues. There are so many fascinating legends that can be woven into stories. There is the mysterious Loch Ness monster that lurks in the deep waters in Scotland. The area surrounding it sure is beautiful and eerie at the same time. That would be cool to have that as a setting for a book!

Robyn DeHart said...

Michele, that is the setting of Treasure Me exactly! I do hope you'll try it.

and I totally agree about Easter Island, utterly fascinating.

Nas said...

I don't know if it can be classed as a myth, but I love reading about The Amittyville Horror!