I was sitting in my office, writing this blog, when His Highness came in carrying a vase of red roses. He’s pretty special that way. In all the years of our marriage, he’s never missed a holiday, birthday, anniversary, or any other chance to make me feel loved.
This time, though, he did something else…something that meant even more to me, because it showed that he truly understands me. One of the roses had broken off at the head, and he delivered that one to me, too. He brought it floating in a wine glass half filled with water. It’s just a plastic wineglass, the kind I use for critique celebrations and poolside parties. But it was charming in a quirky way, and I found it delightful.
So I went to the big thinkers, and I found three definitions of love that I especially liked.
1) Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. ~Robert Heinlein
2) Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place. ~Zora Neale Hurston
3) You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. ~Dr. Seuss
But somehow, lovely and true as they are, those three quotes are a little too serious. His Highness is a rock, eternally sturdy and reliable in a crisis. But he’s also a kid at heart, an endless fountain of laughter, bike rides, practical jokes and terrible puns. So, in his honor, I decided also to include my three favorite silly quotes about love. Here are the first two:
1) Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. ~Robert Heinlein
2) Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock. ~John Barrymore
And before I show you my final, favorite quote about love, I want to say I hope you’ll share your favorite definitions of this magical feeling with me, too. Whether they were written by classic poets, or made up by you right here on this spot, I adore good quotes, and bore my friends with them all the time! Three random posters will win their choice of titles from my backlist.
Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you! Here’s a smile from the inimitable Lily Tomlin to end this blog…
3) If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?