Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cara Summers: My Top Five Favorite Love Stories on Film



It’s February—a month for love stories, and I’ve just added a favorite to the top of my list. If you haven’t seen “The King’s Speech,” go now.

I know, I know—it will come out eventually on DVD, but seeing Colin Firth on the big screen is a definite plus. That’s why I went to see it. The pure eye candy factor. I’ve been in love with Colin for years, ever since he played Mr. Darcy in the Arts and Entertainment Channel’s “Pride and Prejudice.” And he’s a great actor. But I didn’t expect “The King’s Speech” to be perhaps the best movie I’ve seen in over a decade.

And it’s a great love story on so many levels.--the love of a wife for her husband, the love of a father for his daughters, the growing friendship between two friends—the king and the commoner—and the love of a king for his country.

Okay—enough about “The King’s Speech.” My next three favorite movie love stories are more classic romantic comedies. And because they’re all kind of tied in second place, I’m putting them in alphabetical order.

Moonstruck” is a movie that I can sit and watch again anytime I accidentally stumble into it with my remote control. I’m half Italian, so that might be part of the pull. But Cher slapping and then jumping Nicholas Cage just doesn’t get old for me.

Pretty Woman” also remains a favorite. I saw it the first time with my fourteen year old son. As we were leaving the theater, he said to me, “Mom, they changed each other, didn’t they?” I thought of Richard Gere walking barefoot in the grass and then climbing up a fire escape at the end. I saw “Pretty Woman” before I’d ever sold a book, and I think it helped me make my first sale. True love is supposed to change people.

Love certainly works its magic on Michael Douglas in “The American President.” That’s another movie that I never tire of. Whenever it’s on, I always seem to watch part of it.

And last but not least on the list of my top five is “Murphy’s Romance.” That movie holds a special place in my heart because it shows you can find true love any age. And it can still change you and make you a better person. That’s the story that makes us read and write romances.

Of course, I might point out that my favorite movie romances, besides telling a great love story, are also characterized by amazing performances, not just by the leading actors but also the supporting ones.

That’s my top five. I’d love to hear yours. I live in Syracuse, New York, and February is promising to be a long, cold month, so I could use some suggestions. If you agree with any of mine, you may encourage me to watch them again.

I also want to give three books away. So I’m thinking of a number between 1 and 19. The three people who guess it or come closest to it get a copy of my February Blaze or a book from may backlist. Good luck!

19 comments:

desere_steenberg said...

Hello Cara

This was a very lovely post it reminded me of all the wonderfull romances out there !

My top five are Pretty Woman , Officer and a Gentleman, Romancing the Stone,The Notebook and The Wedding Date (I hope I have inspired you to go and watch one of them )

And my guess is your thinking of number 17 .

Best ,
Desere

Laney4 said...

Before I forget (which has been known to happen WAY too often these days), I'll choose #4.

As for your movies, I don't think I have seen Murphy's Romance, so I'm going to Google it when I'm done here.

As for my own movie selection, I don't know. I rarely watch movies (although I have seen bits of your other four movies, including trailers with Colin Firth). American President brings back a warm feeling.... I enjoy the romantic comedies (like When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, and You've Got Mail). Oh! I recently saw most of Must Love Dogs (with Diane Lane, John Cusack, Christopher Plummer, Elizabeth Perkins, Dermot Mulroney, and Stockard Channing) and enjoyed that. One of my all-time favourites is The Lake House (with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves), which I watch over and over again!

Keep warm, Cara! We're not through this yet! (I miss my outdoor walking, so I'm counting the days until I can return to the non-snowy, non-icy, "non-puddly" trail!)

Unknown said...

Laney4 and Desere,
Thanks so much for reminding me of movies I haven't thought of in a long time!
I absolutely love anyt Diane Lane movie. Just saw "Secretariat" and though it isn't a romance, it is a love story about family.
Cara

desere_steenberg said...

Your very welcome Cara

EllenToo said...

I'm not sure when the last time I saw a movie was much less what it was. But I think it was "When Harry met Sally". I just don't watch movies.
My favorite number is 12.

Linda Henderson said...

I'll pick number 14.

Some of my favorite movie romances are While You Were Sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, When In Rome, Three Coins In A Fountain, and First Kiss.

Unknown said...

This is Cara.

For some reason I couldn't sign into Google with Cara's name--even thought she has an acoount.

Linda,
It's been a long time since I've seen "Three Coins in a Fountain," but I made sure to toss a coin in that fountain when I visited Rome.

And "When Harry Met Sally" is a great movie also.

Stay tuned. I won't announce the winning number until later this evening.

Best,
Cara

Lil said...

You listed some of my favorites. My all time favorite is Princess Bride. I will guess 5.

Dina said...

have a few fav lose stories, sorry none that you mentioned though.

hhhhmmmm, I'll pick #10

Estella said...

I don't watch movies.

I choose #9.

Leni said...

I love Moonstruck. It's just the best of everything you love in a movie.
The number# 2

lenikaye@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

This is Cara again...

I don't have as much time to watch movies as I used to. But "Dirty Dancing" is playing this afternoon...
Don't have time to watch it--but I do love that love story also. I'm a sucker for stories when love changes a person for the better.

I'm going to try to announce the winners at around 9:00--and I'm on EST.

Dina said...

that is a fav love story of mine and I just watched it again for the umpth time. ;)

Unknown said...

This is from Cara again.

I'm going to wind up things a bit early because I'm out of town and using my son's computer--hence come of my problems accessing my Cara Summers' google acount.

Thanks to all of you who reminded me of some of the movies I left off my list. I never would have thought of "Three Coins in the Fountain" or "Princess Bride."


The number I had in mind for the contest was #2--because that's Ground Hog's Day in February.

That means that Leni-- you're a winner! And since I want to give away three books, Laney4 and Lil, you're both winners also.
Congratulations!

Please email me with your choice of books and your addresses. You may choose my February Blaze--"Take My Breath Away" or choose a book from my back list.

Send your choices and your addresses to: csummers@twcny.rr.com

And Lee, thanks so much for inviting me to blog today!

Cara Summers

Pat Cochran said...

# 13 for me!

Fave films: Love With A Proper
Stranger, Knock On Any Door, West
Side Story, Ghost, Officer And A
Gentleman, Pretty Woman.
Pat Cochran

Laney4 said...

Thanks so much, Cara. I just sent you my email.
Have a great weekend with your son!

Michele L. said...

Hi Cara,
I am chiming in away even though your contest is over. I love the movie, WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, with Sandra Bullock. She is such a good actress! Also, another romantic movie she was in is THE LAKE HOUSE with Keanu Reeves.

Also, PRETTY WOMAN, is another favorite of mine. Also, ROMANCING THE STONE, with Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, and Danny Devito is excellent. Love Danny Devito in this movie!

Mary Kirkland said...

Even though the contest is over because I am late...lol I wanted to add Ever after: A Cinderella Story. I love that movie and the love story is so cute.

TashNz said...

Hi :) I'm just catching up on unread blogs :) I just had to add a comment I came across my VIDEO of PRETTY WOMAN the other week and had to sit down and watch it while the kids were out - it still does it for me *sigh* lol