Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Golden Globes and Redeemed Heroes... by Natalie Anderson

So did you watch the Golden Globes?! I must admit I'm a sucker for award shows - I love to see all the frocks and suits, the hair, the shoes, the bling... I'm sappy enough to get a tear in my eye over acceptance speeches (especially when they're from the winners I wanted). It's fun to celebrate things - and creative achievement is worthy of celebration I think.
Of course, there's a problem in that I don't actually have a telly that's plugged into a network - we only use ours to watch DVDs - but we do have a number of computers. So, social media addict that I am, I watched the Twitter feed on and off (it was HILARIOUS - some people are very, very funny on Twitter) - and then I hopped onto YouTube and watched the particular bits that sounded good. And I looked at the stills of the fab frocks on the newspaper websites... so, personal highlights for me?
Actually involved three guys - Colin Firth (Mr Gorgeous, love his accent and the beautiful way he talks), Michael Douglas (nice line when he got the standing ovation) and of course, the wonderful redeemed reprobate, total bad boy himself, Robert Downey Junior.

I thought RDJ was fantastic - suave, charming, a little risque and also got his point across re Ricky's intro. There's an admirable strength about someone who's gone through hell and hauled himself out the other side. You want someone like that to succeed - not to be cast back all the time. And I loved him in Iron Man...

While the hero in my latest Presents Extra, Lorenzo Hall, has gone through a very different kind of trouble to RDJ, he has certain similarities in that he'd also gorgeous and has that slightly wicked, untamed humour and smouldering sensual confidence. Lorenzo is also working very hard to keep himself in the position in which he's fought hard to get to - safe. Of course, the pleasure for me then was to throw a heroine into his path who challenges that status. Emotional risk is the one kind of risk Lorenzo just can't handle... can he find the strength to be the hero my Sophy needs???

Well, you might have to look for REBEL WITH A CAUSE out next month in the US as a Presents Extra... meanwhile, which frock did you like the best at the awards? Maybe I'm having an Anglophile moment with my crushing on Colin still, but really, I just adore the individuality of Helena Bonham Carter -  with her odd coloured shoes? Just wonderful!!! What did you think???

5 comments:

Melanie Milburne said...

Natalie, I love Helena Bonham Carter. She is just so quirky. She was great in The King's Speech and of course so was Colin Firth.
And who doesn't love a bad boy? Good on RDJ for sorting his stuff out.
your Lorenzo sounds delicious!

ev said...

RDJ makes me drool. So does Colin.

Natalie Anderson said...

Hi Melanie! I can't wait to see the King's Speech - just need to finish my latest so I can claim a night off for a date with the husband!!!
I've loved Helena ever since Room with a View...

Natalie Anderson said...

Ev, me too. Absolutely.

Nas said...

Hi Natalie,

Unfortunately for us we'll be watching the GG later.

Lorenzo is delicious by the way. Made an appearance all hot and sweaty. Wow!