Pages

Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Devil's Heart -- Lynn Raye Harris

The coolest thing about writing for Harlequin Presents is that I'm also writing for Mills & Boon -- and my books tend to come out there earlier than in the US and Canada. I love the look of a Modern romance; the intensity of the characters, the blue swooshes across the top and bottom. It's true that the covers are changing, and I'm excited about those new covers as well. I can't wait to see my next one!

When I was a kid, I stumbled across my first Presents/Modern when my grandma bought a box of them at a yard sale. I was hooked. The covers back then were white, with gold and black lettering, and the characters in the cameo were drawings instead of photos. I often imagined my name on one of those covers.

Fast forward a few years, and the dream is a reality. And now, this month, my fourth book is out in the UK. The Devil's Heart is an intense story about an Argentinean hero, a heroine with a secret, and a big fat diamond. I had so much fun writing this tale! I've never been to Argentina, but I would love to go.

I ordered several guidebooks and immersed myself in them. I surfed the web for pictures of Buenos Aires and the high desert country of Mendoza, where the wineries butt up against the Andes and grow the finest Malbec grapes. I went to the store and bought a bottle of Malbec, which was absolutely divine. ;)

From the back cover:

A diamond, and a deal with the devil…

Francesca D’Oro was just eighteen when darkly sexy Marcos Navarre swept her up the aisle—then fled before the ink on the marriage licence had dried. Marcos might have given Francesca a jewel for her finger, but he stole another: the Devil’s Heart—a dazzling yellow diamond he believed belonged to his family…

Years later Francesca, no longer so youthfully naïve, is determined to reclaim the precious gem! But she’s forgotten that Marcos lives up to the treasure’s name—and dealing with the devil is always dangerous!



I hope you enjoy this dark and intensely romantic story! Tell me what place you'd like to visit that you've never been to before. Have you tried to create a bit of the ambiance of a place, like I did with the wine? I love sampling food and wine from other places. In fact, have bought myself an Arabian cookbook for this story I'm working on now. Bet that's a huge hint, huh?

For more information on my books, including excerpts and a Behind the Book feature, visit me at www.LynnRayeHarris.com!

11 comments:

host said...

The Devil's Heart sounds interesting :) I would really like to visit Ireland or Australia... two different countries but that's exactly what draws me to both of them.

Christina Hollis said...

I'd love to visit the middle east, as my grandfather was full of stories about his travels through what was called Mesopotamia in his day.
I'm a bit wary of research via cooking, though. After discovering Claudia Roden, I put on half a stone in weight in a fortnight!
Congratulations on Number 4, btw!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

I'd like to go to Ireland and Australia too! Someday, I keep telling myself. :)

Christina, LOL, that is a downside of research via cooking! Thanks for the congrats! :)

Patricia Preston said...

Definitely France and England. Would love to spend a few months in each country.

Linda Henderson said...

I've always wanted to visit Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. I'm not in any shape to travel, even if I could afford it, so I'm content with collecting as many postcards of different places that I can get.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Hi, Patricia! Those are both great places. I'm planning a trip to London in September, in fact, and I'm very excited!

Linda, postcards are a great idea! I've cherished all the ones I've collected over the years. :)

Cheryl Crisona said...

The book sounds intriguing. I can't wait for it come out in the U.S.!

I have always wanted to see Egypt and the Valley of the Kings. I love Ancient Egypt - the pharoahs, the mythology, everything about it.

Since most of my books take place around here, I haven't had to create a bit of ambiance: I'm living it. Complete with all the rednecks I can stand. LOL Sometimes I am so immersed I forget how to speak properly!

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Oh, Cheryl, LOL about the rednecks! I want to go to Egypt as well - but I'm not crawling into the Great Pyramid through that teeny tiny tunnel. :)

Alicia Hunter Pace (aka Jean Hovey and Stephanie Jones) said...

Wow, Lynn. You have some comments I can't read!

Just let me say the research for a heroine who is a chocolatier is lethal, but fun.

Yummy cover!

practimom said...

Oh, i would love to go to Hawaii. Good luck on your next book. it sounds fun, arabian nights???

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Apparently, Jean, I am popular in foreign countries too. *gg* Oh yes, your chocolatier research must have been so hard! ;)

Practimom, I can vouch that you will love Hawaii. I lived there for 3 blissful years, sigh. It's truly the best weather anywhere! Yes, the next book is set in the desert with a handsome sheikh! I'm having fun writing it so far.... :)