Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Alternative Vacations... - Sarah Morgan

I badly need a vacation. Unfortunately I don’t always get what I want or need so I’ve been trying to find ways of giving myself that ‘holiday feeling’ without actually going anywhere. Here are a few of my emergency alternatives…..
1) Flick through holiday photographs. If I can’t actually have a holiday, the next best thing is looking at photos of when I was on holiday. Looking at happy faces and sunshine on swimming pools always makes me smile.

2) Have a ‘Greek Night’ (I love Greece). I cook moussaka - traditional Greek dish made with lamb and aubergines - serve a big Greek salad and play Greek music.

3) Sit down and do nothing. I don’t know about you, but I rarely sit down and do nothing unless I’m on holiday so, in theory, ‘doing nothing’ gives me the holiday feeling. In practice it gives me a panic attack because my brain knows I’m not on holiday and I should be working…… ( this particular alternative is still a work in progress……)

4) Watch a film that makes me feel as if I’m on holiday - The other night I watched Something’s Gotta Give (Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Keanu Reeves). Forget the story and the characters – the film is worth watching just for the incredible beach house in the Hamptons. I’ve since discovered there are websites dedicated to achieving ‘the look’ so I’m not the only one coveting that place. Unfortunately I don’t want ‘the look’, I want ‘the house’ (preferably with Keanu Reeves already installed :) )

5) Read a book. Some books have settings that make you feel as if you’re on holiday. My next release for Harlequin Presents, One Night – Nine Month Scandal is set on the beautiful Greek island of Corfu (I’d like a house there too, please) and writing it gave me a brief vacation from rainy England. Hopefully it will give the reader a brief vacation too. Here are a few photos to put you in the mood..

What are your favourite ways with injecting your life with holiday happiness?

Sarah
xx

6 comments:

Christina Hollis said...

The Greek theme is a great idea, Sarah. You could put the central heating on for the full effect!
Roast vegetables with fettucini, parmesan and foccacia (how do you spell that?) always does it for me. With warm, fragrant melon to end...

Sarah Morgan said...

The central heating is a good tip Christina, except that since I wrote this the temperature has risen so I'd melt. Which would give me that Greek feeling, that's true :)

Unknown said...

I need a vacation too! I love your Greek pics, just took a look at my own after reading One Night...Nine Month Mistress. What a heroine Kelly was.....and selling her engagement ring, the family heirloom on Ebay, brilliant!

Sarah Morgan said...

So glad you enjoyed the pics and the book Marilyn!
x

Pat Cochran said...

Hi Sarah,

Just looking at the photographs
alongside your post truly gave me
that "vacation lovin' feelin'!
Now I have to talk Honey into a
runaway weekend very, very soon!!

Pat Cochran

Sarah Morgan said...

Oooh Pat, hope you get that runaway weekend really soon
xx