Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

A passion for certain things... - Rebecca Winters

Hello to all you wonderful readers out there!

Thanks first of all to Lee for the opportunity to blog. Most of the time I think I don’t have time to do it, but that’s not true. It’s just that I don’t want to take the time to write unless it’s something I feel passionately about. The truth is, I do have a passion for certain things.
If I could live more than one life, I would be an archaeologist. It’s very hard for me not to use some aspect of it in every novel I write. If my editors at Harlequin would allow me, I’d probably do a running series from A to Z using some aspect of it in each novel. Archaeology of the Native Americans of Yosemite figures in my June Harlequin American Romance THE CHIEF RANGER.

In the sequel, THE RANGER’S SECRET, archaeology is Chase Jarvis’s passion, out in September. So how come he’s the assistant head ranger at Yosemite and what is the heroine doing there? I won’t give the plot away, but I had so much fun writing it because I find the subject completely fascinating.

I also put in a tidbit of archaeology in my latest July Harlequin Romance, THE FRENCHMAN’S BROODING PROPOSAL. In this novel the heroine is doing some weeding in Cap Ferrat (on The French Riviera) at the hero’s gorgeous chateau and unearths an important artifact.

For me, finding traces of other civilizations and weaving them into my romances, adds a tantalizing thread which I believe enriches the reader’s pleasure. Another Harlequin Romance, THE BRIDEGROOM’S VOW, explores the ancient world of Thessalonica. In the Harlequin Romance THE ITALIAN PLAYBOY AND THE NANNY, archaeology features quite heavily both in Italy and Mesoamerica.

When I’m asked why I love writing so much, I tell people it’s the research for each book that blends fact and fiction, providing an endless fascination for me, driving me to spin a new tale.

Rebecca Winters
http://www.cleanromances.com/

THE CHIEF RANGER and THE RANGER’S SECRET. Both RT top picks.

5 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Ah, I love reading about other civilisations, particularly when they are wozen into the fabric of the story.. I suspect this is why I write historicals. But of the great parts about archeaology is that it encompasses not only the ancient but also more modern society. For example, the work being done in Jamestown or the work on Little Big Horn which helped proved the course of events.

Mechelle Fogelsong said...

I totally understand what you mean when you say, "It’s very hard for me not to use some aspect of [archaeology] in every novel I write." That's exactly how I feel about fencing (the modern sport of swordsmanship). I've been fencing for 20+ years now, and I love the sport.

Now that I write YA fiction, it's hard to write without including that fun and exciting part of my life expierence in all of my fictional works! If you feel passionately about something, then you want to include it in every story you write!

EllenToo said...

I very much enjoyed THE CHIEF RANGER and THE RANGER'S SECRET. And I learned something I didn't know about the Native Americans. I think it is a good thing to put that type of information in a book that a whole lot of people read because it brings awareness of the past to the present. Yosemite is one of the few National Parks I have not been to.

cheryl c said...

I enjoy stories that combine my love of reading and history. I guess that is why I read so many historicals.

Mary Kirkland said...

Historicals are alot of fun to read, you get a bit of history with each book you read.