Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Temperature's Rising... - Christina Hollis

How does the weather make you feel? The last couple of summers in the UK have been so wet and miserable, I’ve had to escape. Not by travelling – well, no further than my computer keyboard, anyway! I turned my back on the grey skies and continuous rain by writing about hot summer sunshine and long lazy days. This month one of those summery books, The Tuscan Tycoon’s Pregnant Housekeeper goes on sale. It starts off with a flirtation in the South of France, the perfect antidote to the last two summers here. Then in July, The Ruthless Italian’s Inexperienced Wife is released as a Harlequin Presents Extra. In it, Marco whisks Cheryl off to his private tropical island for a relaxing break which turns into something a lot more intimate:

In one sinuous movement Marco slid an arm around her waist. He swept her into her apartment, off her feet- and onto his. Half a dozen steps in her new silver stilettos convinced them both Cheryl was no dancer. She stumbled and fell into him.

This is our first meeting all over again.’ He chuckled softly into her ear. Her cheeks pinkened with a rush of guilty pleasure. He supported her, and showed no signs of letting go. Despite the feeling she must be leaving prints all over Marco’s bare feet, Cheryl let him carry on. This chance to feel his arms around her one more time made her reckless, and she laughed.

‘Oh, dear. I’m sorry, Marco!’

‘Don’t be,’ He murmured. ‘I can’t expect you to be absolutely perfect in everything. After all, dancing isn’t part of your job description.’

Oh how I wish it was, Cheryl thought. It would be the perfect excuse to accept his arms around her at any time, without any consequences…

When I was writing that, it was so much more enjoyable to think about cocktails on the beach than to look out of my window at the thunderclouds!

This year seems to be getting off to a rather better start. We had a burst of warmth in April, and some more last month. The blizzards of February are a distant memory now. Looking back on the roaring logs fires, hot chocolate and brilliant starry nights is quite romantic. Perhaps I should try setting a romance in a ski lodge. Miles off the beaten track, with a handsome hero chopping logs for the fire – it’s almost enough to tempt me in from the sunny summer garden, and on to the computer!

Christina

5 comments:

Estella said...

Your book sounds like a great summer read!

Helen said...

Christina
The books sound really good. I am a winter person I do love being able to snuggle up with a cup of something nice and warm and of course chocolate then the best reading a great book.
And as I live in Australia it is very cool here at the moment and I am loving it.
A book set in a ski lodge sounds great I do love books set in winter not that I don't love books set in hot exotic places that I would love to visit.

Have Fun
Helen

Christina Hollis said...

Thanks, Estella!
Helen, my OH is leaving for Sydney on business in a few hours. Can you arrange to keep your weather nice and cool for him, please? ;)

Helen said...

I will do my best Christina I hope he enjoys it here in Sydney

Have Fun
Helen

Mari said...

Christina,

I just wanted to drop a note and tell you how much I enjoy your books!