Pages

Friday, February 15, 2008

What women really want…anytime


I like Valentine's Day. After all, I am a romance writer. It's sweet and romantic, and everyone should have a Valentine to love.

My only issue is that all that sentiment becomes a requirement, an $80-for-a- dozen-roses mandate. And therein lies my problem with Valentine's Day.

Roses are nice, but to me, $80 for roses isn't worth it. And when I thought about it, I finally figured out why: Anyone can buy roses. But not everyone knows what I really want.

So here's my top five list of the perfect romantic gifts...for me:

1. A manicure-pedicure appointment.

Every woman out there is nodding her head right now. Take note, boys.
Pros: One to two hours being pampered in peace and quiet, lasts for a week and I can take my gift anywhere.
Cons: No wine involved.


2. A clean house.

A collective sigh just went up. Most men do not understand the power of a clean house.
Pros: It's free and anyone can do it.
Cons: My hygiene standards have to be lowered. And there's no wine.


3. Chocolate.

This one is just too easy, I know.

Pros: Lasts a long time, available anywhere, and can be easily hid in my office drawer.
Cons: Calories, which I say I don't want but for chocolate, I'll do it. And no wine.


4. Forethought, i.e. surprise.

Contrary to popular belief, we women are not hard creatures to please. Just burn actual brain cells to find the perfect surprise. It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to be for me and me alone.
Pros: It's a surprise which was executed without my help or direction, and required forethought and follow-through on my sweetheart's part. For that, I love you.
Cons: Can't think of any except there's a good possibility of no wine.


5. Wine.

Good wine with a cork and everything. Impress me.
Pros: It's makes me happy, and it's good for my heart and cholesterol which means I'll live longer. And yes, I do think about that.
Cons: I may just have to share the bottle with that someone special. Oh well. That's what romance is all about.


Those work for me, and I'm very lucky that my hubby knows them too.

After all, romance isn't about what works for everyone. Romance is about what works for that special someone.

Happy romancing...all year long,

Samantha Graves


You can visit Samantha Graves at her website, MySpace or weekly Will Write for Wine podcast with co-host & fellow author, Lani Diane Rich.



11 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yep. I would take any of those gifts, too. :)

Donna Alward said...

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. Especially wine.

Last count...I got a ring from my dh - surprise, check. I bought chocolate for us to share...check (See my post last week, chocolate was a given). I also had wine. And my kids decided they would brush my hair and give me a pedicure. Yep, other than the clean house, I came up aces. :-)

Unknown said...

Those are great gifts, especially the chocolate. You can never go wrong with chocolate :-)

Jane said...

Throw in a massage and I'll be satisfied. i loved Dax and Raven's story and I can't wait for Jillian's.

Estella said...

I love the surprises!

Pat Cochran said...

Amen to your list with one change,
I'd make that dark chocolate! My
gift list would also include books,
which is what Honey gave me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, it sounds like you gals made out very well this year. Good for you!

Definitely dark chocolate! And the massage sounds heavenly too. And books! Who can go wrong with books?!

And thank you Jane for reading Sight Unseen! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Jillian's book comes out in August. I'm redoing my website (much swearing here) and hope to have more information up about it soon.

sam

Maureen said...

A nice dinner is a great gift.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Maureen!

Dina said...

Wow, those are great gifts for oneself.

Only 1 rose is fine with me.

Wolfy said...

Great list of things. Any one of them would be a good thing to have.....or receive.