Initially I had a different idea for this blog. Being February 29, a once-every-four-years date, I was going to use that as a theme. Now, my mind has a way of taking circuitous routes and many detours before arriving at its destination...or an alternate destination, which is what happened today.
While driving to town I started thinking about today and leap years and I remembered another February, another leap year eight years ago, when I sold my first book. From there my mind took a leisurely detour through the intervening years and I was reminded of how much I've done in this eight years and how much is due to my romance writing. The travel for conferences, the detours I've taken on those trips, the research experiences, the people I've met, my personal growth and change that's empowered me to do things and make decisions I would not have done ten years ago.
And that is how I arrived at this alternate topic for my blog:
10 things I would not have done if I hadn't sold that first (and subsequent) books.
1. Seen New Orleans, New York, Reno and Atlanta on trips to RWA conferences, with stopovers in Toronto, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and Los Angeles. Nor would I have gotten to frock up and enjoy the conference parties with remarkable women such as these down-under authors.
2. Visited my sister-in-law and her family in Alberta, Canada, on one of those trips.
3. Driven a red convertible on the "wrong" side of the road in Nevada (we're from Australia, y'know)...and along the Vegas strip.
4. Biked across the Golden Gate Bridge (the skirt was a mistake, BTW.)
5. Slept under the most brilliant, magical night sky on an Outback camping safari.
6. Experienced the immense pride of seeing my books up on the big screen at the RWA Awards night.
7. Gone to the opera (holy cow, the opera!), to see La Boheme at the Sydney Opera House.
8. Thrown caution (and the budget) to the wind in hosting a fully catered 21st birthday party for son #1 (it was fabulous!)
9. Suggested that my husband throw caution (and budget) to the wind and buy himself a horse (she is fabulous!)
10. Met the most amazing women in fellow lovers of romance novels, and made the best, funniest, smartest, most empathetic friends a woman could have.
Bronwyn's next release TYCOON'S ONE-NIGHT REVENGE is available tomorrow as a print and ebook from eHarlequin and from other stores in April. This is a spin-off to Bronwyn's RITA-finalist The Ruthless Groom. If you enjoyed The Princes of the Outback then don't miss out on Susannah's story.