Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2008

French Obsession - Katherine Garbera


This month I'm celebrating The Wealthy Frenchman's Proposition my newest release for Silhouette Desire. Since I was a little girl I've been in love with all things French. I think it's because my great-grandmother, though Italian, spent a few years in a girls' school in Marseille before coming to America. She spoke French as fluently as Italian. And my grandmother, her youngest child, would sometimes speak to me in French.

During high school I took French as my required language, and I sent letters to my grandmother in French. It was our little thing that only the two of us did. My youngest sister took French, as well, and we used to speak in French when we didn't want our other sister to know what we were saying!

My obsession with French men began when I was working at Walt Disney World in Florida. Before Disneyland Paris opened, they sent three young French men to our office to learn how Disney worked in order to set up the Paris finance office. These men were dreamy. Tall, dark haired and very flirtatious. One in particular used to sit on the edge of my desk and talk to me. I can still hear the rhythm of his words, that accent he had whenever he spoke. So Tristan is an amalgam of these men.

Sheri is a lot like me in some ways. She is used to blending into the background. When she finds herself in the spotlight, she struggles to find her footing. But knowing that she has Tristan helps her find her way.

Have you ever been obsessed with another culture? I have a friend who is totally into the British Royal Family.

What's your passion?

Katherine

11 comments:

Wolfy said...

Katherine what an interesting post. I am not really passionate about anything, and have never learned French. Although French is the second language of Canada and packaging and everything is done in both English and French. Your book new release sounds like it will be an interesting read.

Unknown said...

Great post. I took French in high school but I don't have the talent for languages. I'm a dedicated Anglophile. If it is British I love it. I'm so happy Target started carrying Boots products and I can buy Cadbury candy bars at Cost Plus World Market :-)

Lois said...

Oh geez louise, I'm another British fan as well. . . it started when I was a kid and I was exposed to Sherlock Holmes (the Basil Rathbone variety) and A Christmas Carol -- and I dare say this woman who came on the world's stage when I was a couple years old named Princess Diana sure helped out a bit. :)

Nowadays, I'm a sucker for all things Regency and Jane. . . but I also still love the ancient variety of Egypt too. :)

Lois

Estella said...

Great post,Katherine!
I am not really passionate about anything either.

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Great post, Katherine! Love that you had the special letter-writing with your grandmother. I must admit that I am fickle. In school I was also into French, which I took as my language. Still can sing a rousing La Marseillaise but when I finally visited Paris (for just one day, unfortunately!) last year, I couldn't pick anything in spoken French.

Since I started writing, however, my allegiance shifts with the current project. At the moment I'm obsessed with English aristocracy and country estates and London townhouses. My longtime love of regency-set historicals feeds into this, I'm sure.

Jane said...

I'm obsessed with Scottish men like Gerard Butler and Ewan McGregor. I have a thing for Aussie men too.

Michelle Styles said...

Hmm, yes, well being an Anglophile certainly helped me when I married and moved to Britain. It made certain things easier as a vast gulf exists in between the two cultures. I do joke with people that I know two languages -- English and American.
But I do find when I am writing my historicals that it is much easier to write if I become immersed in the culture that I am writing about. It helps me to get the mind set right.

Katherine Garbera said...

I love British Cadbury chocolates--te fruit and nut bar--so yummy!! My fiance is American but spent the last ten years living the UK and we buy a lot of British products.

It took me a day to figure out how to respond to posts here. I'm not as tech savvy as I like to think I am.

Katherine :)

Maureen said...

I would love to see Ireland and love those Irish accents.

Katherine Garbera said...

Did you see PS I love you. There is some great scenery in that movie of Ireland and James McAvoy (I'm positive I spelled his last name wrong!!).

Katherine

Dina said...

Like Jane, I love Scottish actor Gerard Butler and Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman.