Pages

Monday, July 02, 2018

Susan Sands: Trying Something New

 Hello friends! I hope summer is going well so far. I love this time of year, partially because I'm not cold. But I mostly love it because there's a freedom that's a throwback from childhood and having summers off from school. No structure to the day, no place to be. It's carried over to adulthood for me as I've been a stay-at-home mom for years. Summers through the child-raising meant swimming, tennis, and chilling, with a few chore thrown in, for the most part. Until I began writing under contract a few years ago. Then, everything changed. Summer meant deadlines.

This year, by my own volition, I'm not on deadline to finish a book. I decided to take on a new project so different it has caused the writing to become excessively hard. Of course, I've had a helluva year as well, but this book is out of my comfort zone and so, so hard. I've recently come to the realization that I'm not doing what I do best. I've been trying to do what some other writers do well, but not what I do well. So, I've changed my goal for this book. I'm doing what I do. Don't get me wrong, this one has an awesome premise. It will be the best work I've ever done. But it likely won't be the book I thought I was going to write. It's going to be a mix of the two. A bigger book, but with my voice within my wheelhouse. I'm not somebody else. I'm Susan Sands and I write humorous Southern Lit. I've changed to a first person point of view for this one. The style is somewhat different, and so is the genre. Right now, it's not a romance. But in the end someone might fall in love. It's a journey book. A journey of a woman without a memory who must merge who she was with who she's been for eighteen years. It's a homegoing.

Stay tuned for more...

Now that I've decided these things about my story, I can't wait to write every day. I'm not avoiding my computer and spending all my time on social media instead of working. It has been an important breakthrough.

Have a fantastic Fourth of July, everyone!!

Susan Sands



1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

Sounds like at fantastic book! You've got this!

denise