Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Word of the Year


I know we're a few week into 2018 and most New Year Resolutions are already forgotten, but I think there's still time to...well, not make a resolution, I gave those up years ago.  Instead, I pick one word to build my year around.  I love that other people have joined me in the tradition.  I've used words like Stop, Moment, Awareness, Step, Optimism, Change, Stretch, Time, Hope...

I spent a great deal of time mulling 2018's word and finally landed on Chapter.  With that word I'm acknowledging that things changed last year and will continue to change next year.

In 2017 I lost my mother in July and losing her has left a hole in my life.  I went back to school in August and discovered so much glee in Ceramics and My Novel Freshman Experience.  My family is another year older and they're lives are changing and evolving, and I'll confess, I feel such a sense of pride when I look at what amazing people they all are.

So 2018 sees me in a new place...a new chapter if you will.  By choosing that as my word of the year, I'm reminding myself that even when change is hard, I should more than accept those changes, I should embrace them!  I should try and make this chapter the best one yet.


So even though we're a couple weeks into the year, I hope you reflect on what you want from 2018.  Do you have a word of the year?

Happy New Year, my friends.  I love stopping by this blog every month.  Thank you to everyone who's followed my pottery adventures and a huge thanks to everyone who's picked up a book, left a review and shared a bit glee with me!


Holly

PS The 3rd book in my PTA Mom trilogy it out...Once Upon a Valentine's 
and
Hold Her Heart is on sale for $.99.  It's one of my Romance+ stories...a story about woman's journey that includes romance, but romance isn't the reason for her journey, nor is it her final destination!

5 comments:

HollyJacobs said...

.

Laney4 said...

I have had a Word of the Year for several years now. It has been Ruthless (as in getting rid of as much "stuff" around the house as possible), Balance (as in doing things for others, but adding more things for me to be done too), and Cleanse (as in purging myself from toxic friends, emails and "stuff"). Last year's was my favourite: "Nike" (as in "Just Do It" - because I have ONE word of the year and not three, LOL). I am still working on THIS year's word, but I'm leaning toward Just Do It again, as that phrase resonates with me often (i.e., no longer leaving things on the steps to carry to another floor later, doing the dishes while the pile is small/quick, "eating my frogs"/doing things I don't want to do but need to be done sooner than later, etc.).

HollyJacobs said...

I love Nike! I'll have to think about words that have hidden meanings. I've always picked pretty straight up ones!

Hope it's a wonderful year, Laney!

dstoutholcomb said...

I have two words of inspiration for the year: Worthy and Refresh

denise

HollyJacobs said...

Denise, Those are great words and I hope it's a great year!