Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christina Hollis: Hello Winter, Goodbye Whole Foods...

Alex's first taste of snow, with me in the distance.
We're snowed in at the moment, half a mile from the nearest road. We’ll have dug our way out to civilisation by the time you read this, but the threat of power cuts here in rural Gloucestershire is constant in winter. It pays to stock up with the basics in late autumn, as it only takes an inch of snow to make the steep and winding country lane leading to Tottering Towers impassable.

My post today is seasonal, and sad. One of the places where we used to shop at Christmas has closed down, and around eighty people have lost their jobs. Whole Foods Market only had a couple of stores in this country outside of London. A few days ago their    “local” (it was about twenty-five miles away from us) outlet shut down.

It was far too expensive for us to shop there regularly, but for the occasional lunch and impulse-buying session it was a real treat. The last time I visited, just before it closed, I picked up all the fruits, nuts and spices for our Christmas cakes, puddings and treats.  Although the store was situated in a weird place, it always seemed to be busy, and it employed a lot of people. Goodbye, WFM. You’ll be missed.

To mark its passing, here's my version of a favourite Christmas song...

On the first day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
My lunch in a little brown tray
On the second day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Sauerkraut and kimchi
On the third day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Three local cheeses
On the fourth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Four rocky roads
On the fifth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Five sourdough loaves!
On the Sixth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Six spotted Quails’ Eggs
On the Seventh day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Seven types of muesli
On the Eighth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Half a pound of nutmegs
On the ninth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Nine vegan salads
On the tenth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Ten scoops of spices
On the Eleventh day of Christmas Whole Foods Market sold to me
Eleven sorts of tea bag
On the twelfth day of Christmas Whole Foods Market…
… didn’t sell me anything. 
All that’s left is a great big sign saying “Goodbye Forever”.

See you next year!
What’s your favourite place to shop when you’re in the mood for some guilty pleasure?

Be the first to see cover of my next non-fiction book, Women’s Lives in Bristolwhich combines family history with centenary celebration by emailing “subscribe” to christinahollis(at)hotmail(dot)co.uk ahead of the big reveal in my end-of-year newsletter!

Christina Hollis writes contemporary fiction starring complex men and independent women. She has written six historical novels, eighteen contemporary novels, sold nearly three million books, and her work has been translated into twenty different languages. When she isn’t writing, Christina is cooking, gardening, walking her dog, or beekeeping.

Catch up with her at http://www.christinahollis.blogspot.com, on Twitter, Facebook, and see a full list of her published books at christinahollis.com

Her current release, Heart Of A Hostage, is published by The Wild Rose Press and available at myBook.to/HeartOfAHostage  worldwide.

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

Pier 1. Cute things which aren't too expensive.

And a local store: A Country Setting.

Merry Christmas!
Denise

Christina Hollis said...

Merry Christmas, Denise! Yes, I love hunting round to find something a little bit different. Online shopping is very efficient but nothing beats a trip to real shops, and meeting *real* people. Have a lovely holiday season, and a happy, peaceful New Year.
Best wishes
Christina