Pages

Friday, October 06, 2017

For the Love of Pets - Addison Fox


For anyone who’s read prior blog posts I’ve written or read my work or looked at my social media feed, it’s pretty obvious that I’m a family person. The families we’re born with and the ones we create as we go through life are essential to my view of the world. I am the person I am because of my family – both the one I’m related to by blood and the one who’s come to me through the daily joys of living.

While both of these situations have produced incredible bonds, there’s one other family I’ve had through my life that fits both of those situations. My pets. There is an incredible joy that comes from having a pet and I’ve been blessed with several.

For me, the majority have been beagles, though we had some family cats when I was small who still carry a place of honor in my heart. But for me, there’s just something about the merry little hound that I’m a sucker for and the beagles who have filled my life – first Charlie when I was a kid, then Tank once I was a young adult on my own and now Max, my beagle rescue who came into my life 2 ½ years ago – have all filled my world with joy, laughter, happiness and, in the case of Charlie and Tank who’ve crossed the rainbow bridge, sadness, too.

Pets are amazing equalizers. They provide ready conversation with strangers, whether it’s an in person meeting or a story told (or retold for the eighth time!) at work. They provide companionship and steady warmth that eases even the hardest days. And they continually prove to us that we can care for something that’s both vulnerable and dependent on us while also having its own capability to get on in the world.

It was with this love and joy that I jumped at the opportunity to write a book set in the world of K-9 police work. I’ve had the good fortune to work on a few of the Colton family continuity books for Harlequin and when I could both write a hot hero (those Colton men are ALWAYS attractive!) and one who’s crazy about his dog, well, I was hooked. It amazed me how many times in the writing I channeled a memory of my own loveable dogs or stories that had been shared lovingly with me by others. The big, soulful eyes. The love of food scraps. And even a few misplaced puppy experiences found their way into the writing of the book and I spent most of it with a big smile on my face.

So I’d love to hear about your loveable pets. What furry (or feathered, or scaled!) family members do you share your life with? How do they enrich your life and what recent antics have they gotten themselves into?

Thanks for joining me today!
XO,
Addison

PS
Here’s the cover of the new book (see…hot guy and adorable dog!!) and my own loveable Max.
                                                                                                                                                   


Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in New York and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest release, COLTON K-9 COP, is out in mid-October from Harlequin Intrigue. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com

No comments: