Pages

Monday, March 06, 2017

Addison Fox: Feeling Like A Kid Again

I’ve always read a pretty steady diet of middle grade and young adult mixed in with my other reading habits (mostly romance, thriller and mystery). I think there’s some incredible work being done in both age ranges right now and I enjoy those stories as much as more adult-oriented fare. But recently, I discovered a book that got me in touch with my youth. Although there’s always an element or two in MG and YA that makes me think of those years between 9 and 16, when everything seemed enormously monumental, I can usually separate that feeling from the core story.

For whatever reason the book I picked up just took me back. The protagonist. The conflict. Even the subtle cues to believing in yourself just the way you are – and trusting that those who love you can see the same – struck a chord in this particular telling. I found myself remembering middle school in sharp clarity, even though the premise of the book was nothing like my own personal experiences.

For me, that’s one of the most extraordinary joys in reading. That absolute transportation to a place and time that lives both inside of yourself and in a world that’s real and tangible and heartfelt. It’s amazing and there’s nothing in the world that feels the same. While reading has always been a magical experience for me, it’s wonderful to be reminded of that enchantment from time to time.

What about you? What’s the last book you read that simply transported you somewhere else? Maybe it was something outside a genre you normally read, or a story that was just so well done it gripped you and refused to let go.

Thanks for joining me today!
XO,
Addison

PS
For those who are interested, the book was CRUSHING IT, by Joanne Levy.

                                                                                                                                                   

Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in New York and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest release, JUST ONCE, the second book in her Brooklyn Brotherhood trilogy from St. Martin’s Swerve, is out now. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com

1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

can't think of one at the moment, but I'm sure if I took the time I could come up with one

denise