Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My Heart Is In the Highlands


Later today, I will be returning to Scotland for the first time in NINE years. I can't believe it's been so long since my last visit and I cannot wait to get there. For years, since the first time I visited in 2002, I have felt like it is the place I need to be. It feeds my soul and refreshes my spirit and I cry when I leave. But today I'm going back --


 
  This is the quintessential song about Scotland and missing it that I wanted to share it with you...


I'll be visiting places I know I like and seeking out places I haven't yet been - all to inspire me to write stories of the history and wonder and people of the Highlands. I'm really excited that I'm going during the Blas Festival - a festival of Gaelic music and storytelling that is held across the Highlands. This year - although Dougie won't be there - I'll be seeing the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Aly Bain& Phil Cunningham and going to the big finale show in Inverness. 

Could there be anything more magical than Gaelic songs and stories being sung and told in castles and keeps and schools and churches all over Scotland? 

I think it's my connection to this place that inspires me to write Scottish historical romances. I've always been called to it and when I need to tell a story, it's the place that usually appears to me. I shouldn't be surprised, really, because during a past-life regression I learned that I lived in medieval Scotland. . . in the Highlands. I could hear it, feel the wind, smell the air and when I opened my eyes I WAS there. 

So, I'm off to the Highlands today. Maybe someone should warn all the men-in-kilts that I'm on my way? Maybe.... 

Have you ever been to Scotland? Or have a place that calls to your soul? Tell me about it - I'll pick a couple of commentors and send out a souvenir of my trip to them! 


Terri is thrilled to be part of an upcoming Celtic ghost anthology about haunted castles in....Scotland!  ONCE UPON A HAUNTED CASTLE is available for pre-order now! Visit her website for more info! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been fortunate enough to visit Scotland. It was for my honeymoon. I will forever remember the kindness and generosity of the people, the beautiful hikes, exploration of castles and ruins, and the whiskey trail.

Lil

traveler said...

I have never been to Scotland. Your post was captivating and beautiful. A place that captures my heart and soul is Italy. The history, culture, language and culinary delights as well as the magnificent scenic sights.

petite said...

Scotland beckons. Your description was so enticing and vivid. I hope to visit. When I toured through Canada I was entranced by the everchanging scenery, historic cities and beautiful and majestic areas which still resonate with me.

Di said...

I was in Scotland once, over 30 years ago, and would love to visit again. I think I'd need at least 2-3 weeks to really get around. Hope you have wonderful time!
sallans d at yahoo dot com

dstoutholcomb said...

haven't been though I've always thought it would be wonderful to visit some day

denise

Mary Preston said...

I do have Scotland on my travel wish list. Friends and family who have been have all raved.

Moosehog83 said...

Never been but it's a dream ever since author Sue-Ellen Welfonder introduced it to me in her romance novels ! My youngest says she will take me some time but I told her to take herself and not worry about me ,besides the Galápagos Islands is my first choice lol