Pages

Friday, May 27, 2016

Best of Both Worlds


My second title for Harlequin Desire is out this month, SECRET BABY SCANDAL, and I’m not sure how I’ll wait until my third Desire title is out in 2017. It turns out I’m having a whole lot of fun writing glitz and glamour. I’m also really enjoying the kinds of stories that Desire does best. Classic romances with secret babies, fake engagements, marriages of convenience, fairy tale elements, and stories about royalty, cowboys, billionaires….

It’s all pretty yummy. I think Desire allows readers (and writers!) to take a behind-the-scenes look at the kinds of lives we read about in Vanity Fair or People magazine. We can travel to Cannes, attend the Met Gala, hop aboard a private jet, or set sail on an opulent yacht. In the pages of a Desire, I can mingle with celebrities and spend an afternoon in the world’s elite spas. I don’t just imagine it either, I read all about these things in detail. I immerse myself in photos and reviews, and then I recreate it for you.

There are worse ways to spend a day, I assure you. I pick fashions on NetaPorter.com and have the runway delivered to my door. And as far as jewelry goes? The world is my oyster—or my exotic yellow diamond—with a billionaire paying the bills. I sample perfumes I could never afford and surround myself with every luxury. I might even hire personal staff.

But I’ve always found it interesting to mix up my writing a bit. The glamorous life of the Desire heroine is all the more exciting after I’ve just finished writing a Superromance heroine who might be returning home to wrestle the traumatic demons of her past. Then again? An everyday Tennessee heroine for a Superromance can have refreshing experiences—wading through a cool creek, kissing under a sky full of falling stars in a wide open meadow—after the jet-set time I spend globe-trotting. One enhances the other and makes me enjoy each so much.

That’s my real life, though. Well, not luxury yachts and yellow diamonds. I’m definitely more of a “wade through the cool creek” kind of girl. But I do savor the dichotomy of experiences. I’ve lived in a lot of places, and one thing I really enjoyed about Louisville, Kentucky, in particular, was the access to charm and sophistication in many aspects of the city from the Derby to all the art, music and ballet options the community supports, and the fantastic university where I attended school. But there’s also a very down to earth side to this spot on the southern bank of the Ohio River—a beer drinking, two-stepping, picnic in the backyard country side since rural communities abound just outside of the city. Both facets made me smile.

I do my best to show you the best of both those worlds too. So I guess, until it’s time to pack my designer bags and jet-set to my next Desire story, I’ll spend some time in the Tennessee countryside where I can help plan the fall Harvest Fest and do a little two-stepping of my own. I hope you’ll keep an eye out for Whispers Under a Southern Sky, book #4 in my Heartache, TN series.




***In the meantime, I’m giving away the best of both worlds! Share with me your favorite thing to do on the weekend and I'll send one random poster a copy of my Harlequin Desire, His Secretary's Surprise Fiance, and my Harlequin Superromance, Nights Under the Tennessee Stars. It's a win-win ;-).

16 comments:

Natalija said...

One of my favourite things to do on the weekend when it's hot is to go to the mountains. The air is cooler and it's definitely less crowded than the beach.

Anonymous said...

Going out to breakfast, brunch or coffee on the weekends is my favorite thing to do on the weekend. Which one I do depends upon my budget at the time.
Lil

ptclayton said...

One of my fav things to do is go out to dinner then to just sit outside as i am disabled. My husband will be home and he will take me then we are doing a few things and we like to stay home. It is the easiest for me and we live in a rural area so it's real pretty. Love to read and review your books love them as they are set in Tenn and are so good.

Unknown said...

During the warmer months (which are few here in the Pacific Northwest), I like to hang out at the beach with my family. My daughter is home from college for the Summer and my son actually visits on occasional weekends, so we head up to my grandfather's house and hang out on the beach. Of course, I always have a book or my Kindle with me. I love that you are setting books in Tennessee. My daughter is going to school at Belmont University in Nashville and I have been enjoying trips to Tennessee for the past two years. Love it there.

Moosehog83 said...

This time of year it's to ride the Harley all over with hubby and our friends

Emma said...

my favorite thing to do on the weekend is reading books.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite thing, to do during the weekend, is to rent a cottage, with a view of the lake, where I can read a good romance book and enjoy a glass of wine! That's heaven for me!
Thank you Joanne for your giveaway!
nlaverdure88@bell.net

dstoutholcomb said...

When I'm in Tennessee, my favorite thing to do is to enjoy the mountains and nature, but not the black bears--they can get too close to my parents' house.

Denise

Di said...

Weekends are when we usually go out to eat - then I don't have to cook!

Bonnie said...

I love to have my two year old great grandson Dayton come over to play in the backyard , it is just so fun and we feel uplifted for hours afterward.

Mary Preston said...

If I can get away on the weekend I love to head to the coast. Otherwise it's a relaxing time at home.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Laney4 said...

Love to cook (and bake) for family and friends. A typical day would be dusting and vacuuming plus preparing the food in the morning, then reading as much of my book(s) as possible before the company arrives. Bliss....

Laurie G said...

I like to visit the local outdoor farm market come home and do some yard work then relax with a good book. At night I take a walk with my husband.

Anonymous said...

We have a place here in upstate New York called the Windmill. It's a place where Amish and Mennonites sell produce as well as there's wine (free) samples, many shops that sell home made items from pot holders, towels, antiques, story books for children, a small mining area to get colorful stones, bakery food, and sometimes there is a antique car show . I don't go to it very often but when I do you spend the entire day looking at everything. It's also dog friendly so I look for one's we don't normally see such as bull dogs, a Chinese Crested, and of course , the typical mutt! They used to offer horse rides but the last couple times that I went they don't have the horses anymore but I might see an Amish family out for a ride. I already went so I don't know if I'll return again this summer or not. It's a fun place and I really don't spend a lot of money just to look at everything!!! Pam

Joanne Rock said...

Echoing all the votes for going out to dinner-- or any meal! I cooked soooo many meals in the years before we could afford going out very often. So by now, as I have less kids at home (most days ) and a little more income left at the end of the month, I adore those evenings out where I don't have to shop/cook/clean up afterward. Such a treat. Brunch might be my favorite....

Joanne Rock said...

I'm ready to visit the Windmill!!! We're headed to upstate NY this summer too.

In other news, my friends... I have a winner! Cheers to Bonnie, winner of the blog prize! Bonnie, if you email me at jrock008@gmail.com with a mailing address, I'll put the books in the mail for you asap!

Thank you all so much for visiting with me this week. Hope you had a fun and relaxing Memorial Day weekend.