Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Lure of the Summer Read

Available now!

I’m a sucker for a summer story. I think that’s why a lot of my contemporary books have ended up set at the beach. Single in South Beach. The Murphy Brothers. Double Play takes place on Nantucket. Always Ready is set on a beach in Puerto Rico. 

Right now I’m writing a Harlequin Desire series that’s mostly set in New York City, but with all the wealth at my hero’s disposal, I have him jetting to Costa Rica and Miami.

I know that a story doesn’t have to be set in the summer or at a beach to be a good “beach read” but then again, it doesn’t hurt. All summer long, I turn to stories with that extra level of escapism where the summer days never end, the sunsets are long and violet, and the heroines hope that the fall doesn’t come. Maybe I’m projecting? My latest Young Adult project, Sun Kissed, is YA beach reading—romances at summer camp. The tag line—every summer has a story.

It’s not just what I write either! This weekend I read Summers with Juliette, a book by debut author Emily Madden, happy to lose myself in someone else’s vision of long summer days. It was a beautiful book of quirky friendships and heartfelt romances… set in an Australia beach town. It was everything I hoped for in a beach read, but kept me reading for hours more with three main character threads to follow. I loved it.


What do you look for in a summer read? A beachy setting? Thorough escapism? Something light and frothy as opposed to darkly emotional? Share with me this week in the comments below and I’ll send one random poster a copy of my May Desire release,SECRET BABY SCANDAL which is set in New Orleans. Where the hero has a house right on Lake Pontchartrain J

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I always pick out a few romance books, a few women's fiction books and a few Mail Order Bride books when anticipating a trip to the beach. This way I have a cross section of books that will make me smile, make me long for a simpler time and most of all, make me think about life and the meaning of it all. I would love to win your book!
Dblaser(at)windstream(dot)net

Victoria Salcedo said...

I love all kinds. Right now more rom-com. Thanks for the giveaway!

Laney4 said...

Honestly? I read Christmas and summer books all year round. You write them; I read them; it's as simple as that - anytime, anywhere.
Thanks for sharing!

Joanne Rock said...

Diane, I like your strategy! That is something I really like about having books on the Kindle app in my phone. There's always a wide range of things to choose from so no matter my mood, I can dig in when I have time!

Joanne Rock said...

My pleasure, Victoria! So glad you could stop by the blog today. And Laney... have to smile. That's why authors adore you!!! Hope your weather is warming up!

dstoutholcomb said...

I love summer themed places... beach, mountains, festivals, etc... for settings...beach is probably the best, but a lakeside romance could be a fun setting

denise

Unknown said...

I love the summer in the mountains- riverside or lake side--lucky me -I have this living in N GA Mountains with TVA & GA Power lake all close

Joanne Rock said...

Denise, agree about lake side... Susan Wiggs Summer at Willow Lake and all the Willow Lake stories are so good.

Joanne Rock said...

Melissa, that sounds beautiful!! I'm packing my bag....

Linda Herold said...

I have always loved the summer months because I'm a teacher--recently retired! I love romance books and cozy mysteries. I love HEAs!! I would love to win your giveaway!

Christy said...

Definitely prefer light and frothy! Thanks for the chance!

Unknown said...

I love to read something lighter during the spring/summer months. I really enjoy reading a book with a beach or lake front scene, especially the min character escaping her daily grind in life for a badly needed vacation, and getting to soak up some rays and along the way meeting a guy, who could be either a fling, or who becomes her one true love! Oh, and her enjoying a cold drink or two is appealing as well!

Laurie G said...

Summer reads-

I like to visit exotic locales via the Presents line.

I read more romantic suspense as I can stay up later and don't have to worry about missing sleep.

I like to try new authors.

Finally, I read any books I've won and write reviews.

Joanne Rock said...

Victoria Salcedo, congratulations!!! You won the copy of Secret Baby Scandal and if you email me a mailing address at jrock008@gmail.com I'll ship your prize right away! Thank you all so much for daydreaming about summer destinations with me!