Pages

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Susan Sands:  Writing and Golf


My husband is a scratch golfer and often has our television tuned in to the Golf Channel. Now, I admit to using it as fine background for a Sunday afternoon nap, but rarely spend time actually watching it as I would another sport.

I've taken a few golf lessons and played a scramble here and there, but it's really not something I've taken to enough to pursue. I have, however come to appreciate the time, training and skill the players employ to achieve that level of game. As a writer, I can't help but compare it to the dedication and creation of a fully formed and well-crafted novel.

When a player tees off, she has to take sharp aim, hit straight, long and be mentally ready for whatever lies between her and the flag stick. She has a plan, especially if the player is familiar with the course. When a writer begins a novel, she has to begin strong, plan for the long journey, understanding the complicated course ahead.

The shots that follow a golfer's tee shot might be approaches, lay-ups, chips, slices, and finally the all-important putts to get to the hole. (Romance writers, stop laughing) As writers navigate the crafting of a story, so many possible pitfalls come into play. We have our own brand of water hazards, sand traps and doglegs to maneuver. But hopefully, we end up with an exemplary product, and thus, a successful outing.

All the classes, the craft books, the writing, writing, and more writing we do is what prepares us for the next round. Too much golf going on at my house? I think so.

My new Southern romantic women's fiction novel, Love, Alabama, will be released April 13th by The Tule Publishing Group. It's currently available for pre-order.


Happy Spring!
Susan Sands

Connect with me!
http://susansands.com
https://twitter.com/SusanNoelSands
https://www.facebook.com/susannsandsauthor/





2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

beautiful cover!

Susan Sands said...

Thank you!