Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

Staying Focused and Productive – the New Dawn by Joanne Walsh

Something has dawned on me—to make writing the first thing I do every day, and get up earlier to do it.

Those who are larks are probably shrugging their shoulders and saying, “So?”  But to a long time night owl like me it’s a revelation.  I used to be someone to whom you should not speak before I’d drunk at least two cups of morning tea. I gained momentum as the day went on, and could have happily danced the night away.  Then, it seemed evenings were the right time to concentrate on my novels.

But two things made me reconsider.  First of all, a member of my writing group, who has always been incredibly productive, shared that she writes before breakfast. Secondly my body clock underwent an unexpected and amazing shift; I started waking up at first light and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I think it may have something to with my age and my hormones. The inevitably consequence of this is that now I am ready for bed by 9 or 10 pm, and certainly in no fit state to write after dinner.

Lying in bed was no longer an option.  I could use the time to answer emails.  But then it occurred to me how fresh I was feeling and how I could put that into my writing.  So I did – with amazing results!  I am writing almost every day and the words are flowing!

No comments: