Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A Book for Every Taste


A reader and I were talking about my different kinds of books. She was right when she said I seem to enjoy telling different types of stories.

I write emotional dramas, lighter, sweet romances, rom com...

I write short stories, novellas, short contemps all the way to long contemps...

And then there's my mystery series.

I've even written romances with fairies in them even.

Now, it may seem that I'm all over the board, but I for me, there's a logic to approaching stories from different writing points-of-view.  

For on thing, some stories lend themselves more to a particular way of telling them... A woman who's suffered a horrible loss and is trying to rebuild her life?  Just One Thing, a drama.  A woman who put wax all over her legs, before she realized how much it hurt to yank it off?  I Waxed My Legs for This? a comedy.  A maid who accidentally cleans a murder scene?  Maid in LA Mysteries, mystery.  Short stories?  Nothing But...trilogy.  Novellas? 13 Weeks.  Long contemp?  Her Second-Chance Family.  Short contemp?  A Day Late and a Bride Short.

Some stories take me 85,000 words to tell...a long contemporary romance.  Some take me less than 5,000...a short story.  Most things fall somewhere in the middle.

As a reader, I read all different kinds of books (biographies, science geekfests, science fiction and yes, romances).  I guess it makes sense that as a writer, I like to tells stories in different ways.  But I think there's a commonality to all my books...they're all stories that center around family and true love.


Or, let's put it this way...sometimes I'm hungry for fast food fries and sometimes I want dinner at a place where the guys have to wear a suit coat and tie.  Yep, I am a woman who spends her summers splitting wood for the fireplace, but owns multiple cocktail dresses.  LOL  There's no rhyme or reason to it all.

How about you?  Do you gravitate to one type of book, or do you read across the board?
Holly...who's been known to read cereal boxes!

Oh, and here's my newest Ask-the-Author video: