Pages

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Roxanne Snopek: Two Tips for a Healthier 2016!


I’ve got two great things to share with you today: one fitness tip and one recipe. How great is that, being that it’s the first week in January and we’re all focused on starting the new year off right, and aren’t yet depressed because we ended up eating the last of the Christmas fudge instead of throwing it out, like we told ourselves we would?

Anyway, I’ve promised myself for the past several years that I’d get more exercise, particularly yoga, which you’d think would be easy, because I love yoga. Unfortunately, going to yoga class involves leaving the house, a barrier many work-at-home-borderline-kleenex-box-slipper-recluses may recognize.

But recently I discovered a great way to bring the yoga class to me, via apps! Whoo-HOO! All you need is a quiet spot with a mat or carpet, and your favorite device. You get the soothing voice of an instructor, pictures of someone in the postures and voila, you just follow the instructions to bliss and great abs. Or so I tell myself.

Doing yoga – even on vacation - makes me feel better about ...
Here are the three I’ve found:

Down Dog http://web.downdogapp.com/ This has options for your level of experience, the kind of music you want and the length of practice. I’ve done it several times already and really like it. I’m using the free version so far, but there’s also a monthly membership I might upgrade to, if I get bored.

... eating on vacation...
I’ve also downloaded Yoga Studio. http://yogastudioapp.com/ Billed as “The #1 yoga app for iPhone” this one has many more options, making it more customizable to your own needs. As it’s only $3.99, I downloaded it but haven’t tried it yet. Early days.

There’s also All-In Yoga http://sport.com/all_in_yoga.html As I love to have options, I downloaded the free version of this one on my phone too, because, why not, it’s free. I haven’t played around with this yet, to say whether or not I like it.

So far, my “do more yoga this year” resolution is going great, thanks to these apps. (You’ll notice I kept my resolution fairly vague. It’s the key to success.)

As for the recipe, it’s called 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce and it comes from Lindsay of Pinch of Yum. http://pinchofyum.com/5-minute-magic-green-sauce


Or indulging in the occasional Krispy Kreme...
It’s basically a pistachio-avocado pesto. Lindsay says she could eat it every day for the rest of her life and I GET IT. It’s delicious! Here’s the recipe:

5 MINUTE MAGIC GREEN SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
1 avocado
1 cup packed parsley and cilantro leaves (combined)
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
2 cloves garlic
Juice of one lime (or two – get lots of limey goodness in there!)
½ cup water
½ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup shelled pistachios

INSTRUCTIONS:
1.       Pulse all ingredients – except pistachios – in a food processor until incorporated.
2.       Add pistachios and pulse until mostly smooth (depends on what consistency you want.)
3.       Serve as a dip, spread or sauce – or add additional water or oil to thin the sauce for use as a dressing or a marinade.

Lindsay adds that you can sub walnuts or almonds for the pistachios and it’ll work, but she doesn’t think the taste is quite as good. I *LOVE* the pistachio version; those babies are expensive but worth it for this stuff. (I suspect pine nuts would also work but I have no data to back this up at the moment.)
Magic Green Sauce will cancel this out. Right??

I mixed this Magic Green Sauce with cooked farro, spinach and halved cherry tomatoes for a hearty and delicious salad. You could use quinoa or couscous, probably and it would be just as good.

I could eat this up with a spoon. (Actually, I did!) I’m with Lindsay on this: it’s AWESOMELY YUMMY!

Anyone else have current favorite recipes or fitness tips to share? I’m off to do some yoga, followed by some Magic Green Sauce salad. I hope to see lots of suggestions when I come back! J


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your success with your goals! One of my goals is also to move around. Unfortunately, yoga is very hard for me to do because of my physical limitations, but I found a great stretching video on Amazon Prime. For ten minutes a day, I work though all my muscles, and I feel so much better! Here's to sticking to our fitness goals! Happy New Year!

Roxanne said...

That's great that you found something that works for you, Andrea! Happy New Year to you as well and thanks for stopping by!

dstoutholcomb said...

Happy New Year!

Denise