Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Truth - and the Duke - Is Out There!


by Anna Campbell

I'm so excited! It's exactly a year since I had a full-length new release and now, after that long wait, WHAT A DUKE DARES has hit the shelves.

This is book three of the Sons of Sin series (previous books are SEVEN NIGHTS IN A ROGUE'S BED and A RAKE'S MIDNIGHT KISS, with the novella DAYS OF RAKES AND ROSES squeezed in between). A character who has intrigued me from the start is Camden Rothermere, Duke of Sedgemoor. Cam is the guy who always keeps his head in a crisis and who always hands out great advice. As a reader, I love seeing Mr. Cool, Calm and Collected tumble into chaos when he falls in love - and that's just what happens to Cam. I can tell you that particular character arc is fun to write too!

Cam's heroine in Duke is his childhood friend Penelope Thorne, a headstrong and passionate woman who leads Cam on a merry dance before they get their happy ending. Pen was fun to write too. I love stories about unrequited love, and Pen's got a really rotten case of the malady for Cam.


Here's the blurb:

A reputation at risk
 
What woman in her right mind would say no to marrying the dashing Duke of Sedgemoor? Miss Penelope Thorne, that's who. She's known Camden Rothermere since they were children - and she also knows she'd bring nothing but scandal to his name.

Cam can hardly believe Penelope turned down his proposal. But if she wants to run off to the Continent and set the rumor mill ablaze, he can't stop her. Then her brother's dying request sends him to bring home the one woman he thought he'd finally gotten over.

The only way they'll both get back to London without their reputations in tatters is to pretend they're married during the journey. That means kissing like they mean it and even sharing a bed - until it becomes hard to tell where the game ends and true desire begins...
 
Reviews so far have been wonderful. RT Book Reviews gave Duke a Top Pick, 4.5 stars, a Knight in Shining Silver (K.I.S.S.) awad and called it "an extraordinary read." Publishers Weekly commented on the "romantic fireworks" and a starred review in Booklist said, "With its superbly nuanced characters, impeccably crafted historical setting, and graceful writing shot through with scintillating wit, Campbell's latest lusciously sensual, flawlessly written historical Regency, part of the Sons of Sin series (A Rake's Midnight Kiss, 2013), will have romance readers sighing happily with satisfaction."
 
You can read an excerpt here: http://annacampbell.info/dukedares.html
 
Duke is available in print and digital everywhere good books are sold, including: 
 
 
 
 

Penelope Thorne, the heroine of WHAT A DUKE DARES, suffers from a major crush on her girlhood hero Camden Rothermere. Did you have a crush when you were growing up? Was it someone real or someone fictional like a movie star or a rock singer?

13 comments:

Ann G said...

I'm not sure I had a crush. I can't remember. I do remember being obsessed with Dirty Dancing when it came out, not sure if it was due to Patrick Swayze or not.

dstoutholcomb said...

actors and musicians... too many to name... but their posters were on my girly teenage bedroom walls...

Kim said...

Do you remember Tiger Beat magazine? It had pictures & articles of all the cute actors & musicians that appealed to teenage girls. I remember buying it, but looking back, I'm not sure those "heartthrobs" would be all that special today. Styles & tastes change.

Anna Campbell said...

Ann, I was obsessed with Dirty Dancing too. I was on holidays at the Gold Coast when I first saw it - a very rainy Easter. I think I went to the cinema three times to see it in the week!

Anna Campbell said...

Denise, this will make you laugh. When I was a teen, I had a crush on Freddie Mercury (I'm a pushover for a showman!). The significance of the band's name totally escaped my innocent little heart, snort!

Anna Campbell said...

Kim, I definitely think heart throbs are as subject to fashion as everything else! I don't know if we had Tiger Beat here. We had something called Smash Hits that I can remember buying as a teenager to drool over whoever my crush was at the time.

Mary Preston said...

I had a major crush on a boy in my Ancient History class in High School. Yep, that was ancient history alright.

Anna Campbell said...

Ha ha, Mary! Laughed at your Roman eye (geddit?). :-)

Anna Campbell said...

Thanks so much to everyone who left a comment! I now declare the Duke officially launched!

Unknown said...

This duke is rocking it!

Tin said...

I still have crushes! (And I'm in my 30s!) My current celebrity crushes are Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston. ^_^

Laurie G said...

No crushes

I'm looking forward to meeting your Duke!

dstoutholcomb said...

lol. I love it. And, the 80s girls fell for George Michael!