Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Cynthia Eden: Writing For the Holidays

Hi, everyone! It’s a pleasure to be hanging out with you. (And a big thanks to Lee for inviting me over!)

Today, I thought I’d talk a bit about holiday writing. I really enjoy writing books that are geared for holidays (like for Halloween, Christmas, New Year’s, Valentine’s Day…I bet you get the picture!). Stories of this sort can majorly put me in the holiday spirit. My fingers can fly fast and hard over the keyboard. 

But what if the writer has to pen a holiday story during a very-much-NOT-holiday time of the year? For example, what if the writer has to create a Christmas novella during the month of June?  With the way production schedules work, this situation is pretty much the standard in the writing world.  After all, you need enough time to write the book, edit it, promo it, then get that sweet baby out to readers. So if you’re hoping to create a holiday tale, the odds are high that you will be writing that book during the off-season. (So to speak!)

I use a few tricks to help me when I have to pen a holiday tale during the off-season, and I thought I’d share those tricks with you.

1.       Music, please.  If you’re writing a Christmas tale, play some Christmas music! Music is a great way to set the mood. And so what if you find yourself humming Jingle Bells during the sweltering heat of summer? At least your mind will be in the right place for your story!

2.       Decorations.  Not too big, of course!  If you’re creating a Halloween story, I’m not saying you need to hang spider web and skeletons all over your house.  But if you’ve got a small Halloween figurine that you like (a ghost, a witch, a miniature vampire), then put that little baby out on your desk.  When you see it, you will be inspired.

3.       Movie magic. Want to feel some holiday spirit? Then sit down and watch your favorite holiday movie.  By the time the movie is over, you’ll be itching to get back to your story.

Above all, just remember to have fun!  Many readers look forward to holiday tales and many authors can’t wait to write them.  Explore your world, be merry, and make those words flow!

Now…are you ready for a giveaway? Because I’d love to give a $10 Amazon.com gift card away to one commenter. To enter the giveaway, just tell me…what is your favorite holiday story? The winner will be randomly selected.  Good luck!

Best,

Cynthia Eden
NEW YORK TIMES & USA TODAY Best-selling author

PLAYING WITH FIRE –Available 8/26/14 from Kensington Publishing 

***Cynthia's winner is Aubrey Laine!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

12 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I don't know that I have an absolute favorite, but I do enjoy Christmas stories.

Karen H said...

I don't have a favorite holiday themed book and I don't tend to read holiday books during their designated season. I might read a Valentine's day book at Halloween and a Christmas book in July!

Di said...

The 'Santa Claus' movies with Tim Allen are a lot of fun, and for a bit more romance and sentiment there are always good holiday movies from Hallmark.

erin said...

I do enjoy Christmas stories! I think one of my fav is A Cowboy for Christmas by Lori Wilde. Congrats on the new release and thanks for such a fun post and giveaway! love that cover ;)

Unknown said...

I really don't have a favorite, I like them all!

Beautiful Disaster said...

I like Christmas stories and movies. One of my fave anthologies is The Magical Christmas Cat.
Lori :)
lorih824 at yahoo dot com

Lil said...

My favorite would be Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory.

Unknown said...

Miracle on 34th street:)
alaine74014 at gmail dot com

Laney4 said...

It's a Wonderful Life has a lovely lesson to be learned....

donnas said...

A Christmas Carol

bacchus76 at myself dot com

Alina P said...

It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite tear jerker movie to watch in December

Dee said...

I Love A Christmas Carol! :)

deeg131 at gmail dot com