Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Nancy Robards Thompson: The Romance of First Kisses

One of the things I love most about writing romance is the hero and heroine's first kiss. It's fun to write the scenes leading up to that big moment where they finally acknowledge that they're more than just friends, but they haven't quite figured out exactly where their relationship is going.

Of course, I can't write those scenes without remembering my own first kiss. I was 14, and it happened at a roller skating rink, of all places. That doesn't sound very romantic, but what made it memorable was the anticipation. I liked this boy so much.

His name was Mike, and he was my first real boyfriend. I’d had fleeting crushes on unattainable boys, but none returned my feelings… until Mike. It was a long, slow process leading up to that momentous first … months of shy flirting and “chance meetings” orchestrated by my best friend Millie. Then, like kids graduating from trikes to training wheels to two-wheelers, Mike and I were off and rolling on our own. Literally, since we were on roller skates.  That sounds awkward, and it probably was. We were, after all, two geeky, gawky clueless fourteen year olds. But that's not what I remember when I think of my first kiss. What rises to the surface is the rush of liking and being liked, the sweet, clumsy hand holding, and the anticipation of that perfect moment that ended in our first kiss. In my memory, it really was perfect, and it still makes me all warm inside remembering it. 

In BEAUTY AND THE COWBOY, Charlotte and Jesse grew up next door to each other. They were good friends and that friendship eventually turned to attraction. Unfortunately, he was too busy training for the rodeo and she was always unavailable. In fact, most recently, Charlotte was engaged - or almost engaged; the status of her relationship is pretty murky until her maybe-fiancĂ© takes himself out of the picture altogether. When that happens, Jesse and Charlotte finally get to share that long-overdue, much-anticipated first kiss. After that, they discover they have the potential to be so much more than friends.  As long as ghosts of kisses past don't get in the way...

What do you remember about your first kiss?  One person who posts will win a prize package that includes an e-copy of BEAUTY AND THE COWBOY,  a couple of books from my backlist, a Tule Publishing tote bag, a Montana Born luggage tag and other goodies.

I had such fun writing BEAUTY AND THE COWBOY.  I hope you love it as much as I do.  I can't wait to hear your first kiss stories!

***Nancy's winner is Nova!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

13 comments:

Lil said...

It was Spring Fling dance at college with a good friend beginning to turn into something more situation. I remember slight nervousness, bumping of noses, getting it right and elation.

Laney4 said...

A good friend who moved north 10 miles when we were in Grade 2 came to a local church dance when we were in Grade 8. He was overweight and I was underweight. I remember thinking as we danced slowly and kissed, "If you could cut a line down the middle of us, we would both be about the right size." I went home on Cloud Nine that night....

traveler said...

Summer love which was endless and memorable. Met at a camp, danced the night away and lightning struck, a coup de foudre which lasted forevermore.

Shari said...

First kiss was at a school dance, never went out again with him .

sky2cu4 said...

My first kiss: we were walking near the ocean in late autumn here in Florida. We were talking and holding hands. We just laid down in the sand and watched the sky. It was beautiful, open sky, Sounds of the ocean and someone I really liked. Who you like he asked me? I said nothing at all. Then he asked, may he kiss you? I said sure, because I was thinking he's joking, but then.... Slow kiss, ocean sound and I was laying on ground... I was confused, but then I relaxed and did my best to enjoy the moment... that first kiss was my dream kiss, which I dreamed about many times. Dark evening, open sky, the sand and the sounds of the ocean. Nothing has ever compared to my first kiss.
The boy and I dated for about four years and was even engaged at one point. We never had our happy ever after but what we did have was high school love. My first love I will never forget about or our first kiss.

Jackie
sky2cu4@aol.com

erin said...

LOL... my first kiss was awful!!! I was 16 and he tried to french kiss me and I literally wiped my mouth and said ewww!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Mary Anne Landers said...

Thanks, Nancy. What do I remember about my first kiss? That it was the best ever!

Good luck with the release of "Beauty and the Cowboy"!

Nova said...

my first kiss was in 4th grade on the playground at recess...a boy named Bobby grabbed ahold of my arm as i ran past him, and he planted a kiss right on my mouth! i guess he and some others were playing a game called "kissing cousins", and he decided i needed to play, too!
my romantic first kiss was when i was in 9th grade. i was "dating" a boy named Jerry and i could tell he wanted to kiss me. i was so nervous; it took me 2 weeks to finally get up the courage to kiss him back. he was my first ever real boyfriend. he kissed me at half time of a football game in the parking lot of the high school. it was every 9th grade girls' dream!!!

Unknown said...

My first kiss was when I was in high school, that's about all I remember!!

Mary Preston said...

My first kiss was wet & gross. The second was much, much better. Practice makes perfect I guess.

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Summer love... church camp and later Canadian while family camping.. I discovered boys at the age of 14....

Lory Lee said...

Hahaha! Totally unexpected. Was playing the lead role of a play during my high school, when suddenly the hero kissed me right smack at the lips instead of the cheek. I almost elbowed him in front of the school. :P

Laurie G said...

I was walked home from the ice skating rink. It was cold. The kiss was wet. My nose was running! YUCK!