Pages

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Carol Marinelli: The Russian Who Made Me Smile

I love writing Russian heroes.

I love the mystery and depth of them and the darkness too.

Imagine my surprise when I started to write The Bride Who Wouldn’t and Isaak kept making me smile.

The Bride Who Wouldn’t is the first in the Honeymoon series for Tule books and I am thrilled to be a part of it. Each of the stories is set in different locations and there are different reasons that the couples find themselves on their honeymoon.

I had three things in mind when I started to write the story (I really am a panster)

I wanted a very sexy story that sizzled.

I wanted a dark, brooding, Russian hero.

I wanted their honeymoon in…..

Well, I had to have a rethink about that. I actually relocated their honeymoon from it’s initial location and decided on Paris for Isaak and Kate.

The more I got to know Kate the more I felt she needed the help of the magical city of love.

Did I keep to my own brief?

No.

Isaak wouldn’t let me.

I kept trying to keep him dark and solemn, he kept refusing to be. I tried to wipe the smile from his face via my keyboard. It kept coming back. You can imagine my later surprise when half way through the story my dark, brooding hero started to laugh. Well, he is a bit of a bad boy and so therefore he laughed at a very inopportune moment, but still, he took me and my heroine, Kate, completely by surprise.

Finally I gave in and I am so glad that I did.

It is a sexy story that sizzles.

It is set in Paris.

I have a very sexy Russian.

He just happens to make me smile.

In the words of the wonderful Meatloaf, two out of three aint bad. I wouldn’t change Isaak for anything.
I’m working on his brother, Roman, now.

Roman is dark and brooding but yes, he has his brother’s humor too and my lips keep twitching into a smile as he urges me to let him be himself.

I hope you enjoy reading The Bride Who Wouldn’t as much as I enjoyed writing it. There are three more books in the series and they are completely wonderful. I am very lucky to be a part this series and writing for Tule.


I am doing a little give away. I would love to send you some Russian vodka but it might not get there intact so instead I have some teeny tiny Russian nesting dolls that come from St Petersburg. I love to play with them as I write and, to celebrate sexy Russian heroes, and I also have some some shot glasses!

If you want to go in the draw for these little gifts just leave a comment and tell me where you’d love to go on Honeymoon or for a romantic getaway with your partner.

Love to all
Carol xxx

***Carol's winner is Janine!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the sound of Isaak! Can't wait to read this Carol. So good!

Fiona Marsden said...

I thought I commented on this. I wanted to go to Italy.

carol marinelli said...

I almost sent them there, Fiona! Italy is gorgeous, this pair kept pulling me towards Paris cxxxx

carol marinelli said...

Isaak wrote himself, Trish! Love a hero who does that :-) cxxx

petite said...

Italy is my dream destination.

Elisabeth said...

I enjoyed reading The Bride Who Wouldn't. It was such a fun, romantic and enjoyable story.
We went to Australia for my honeymoon. Great place.
I love nesting dolls. They are just great.

jaganderson said...

My honeymoon was in York and I loved it but, New Zealand I think is a good spot for a second honeymoon.

Lil said...

I love a hero who can make me smile. It is hard to beat Paris for romance what with the cafes, museums and food in general. However, I think I would also love Thailand for the beaches, jungle trekking and food in general.

erin said...

Congrats Carol on the new release!!! I would love to go somewhere tropical :) I'm not picky!

Leni said...

I hope this post takes. The first one just disappeared :)
I'd like to go to a cozy little town and stay in a comfy cottage and be able to enjoy my surroundings and the slower pace of things.

Janine said...

I love these prizes. I have always been fascinated with Russian things. I have a collection of the Faberge eggs for jewelry and a small lacquer box that I got at a shop in Dallas before it closed. I also have a couple of small painted pendants with cats on them. I would love to visit there one day. That's probably why I loved this story as well. Of course the writing and story was very impressive too. For a romantic holiday or honeymoon, I would probably pick a nice quiet beach some place.

carol marinelli said...

I am writing an Italian soon, Petite and I am locating it there, just so I can visit it in my head :-) cxx

carol marinelli said...

Elisabeth, I am from England but now live in Australia. Thank you for nice words about my story cxxx

dstoutholcomb said...

Loved this story. Would love to go back to Hawaii with my husband,

carol marinelli said...

Jaganderson, York is one of my fave places in the world. Sooooo much history. It is completely beautiful. I am going to NZ for a conference soon and I love it very much though I haven't properly explored it cxxx

carol marinelli said...

Lil, Thailand would be amazing. I want to go to the orangutan sanctuary there. cxxx

carol marinelli said...

I'm not picky either, Erin :-) I just love getting away :-) cxxx

carol marinelli said...

Sounds fab, Leni. I want to hide in a cottage in France and write a book one day cxxx

carol marinelli said...

Janine, I am the same. I just love all things Russian. Your Faberge eggs and lacquer box sound beautiful. I love the tiny little nesting dolls and the little expressions on their faces :-) cxx

carol marinelli said...

Thanks so much, I am glad you enjoyed it. I have never been to Hawaii but am resolving that in two weeks time on the way to the romance writers conference. I am very excited to be going cxxx

Di said...

I'd love to go to Italy, particularly Venice - between the food, the art & the gondolas it sounds wonderful.

Unknown said...

I would love to go Greece!

Linda Henderson said...

Well I really don't have a significant other right now but if I did I'd love to go to Ireland. I've always wanted to go there.

carol marinelli said...

Oh, I'd love to go to Venice, Di. It sounds so, so romantic cxx

carol marinelli said...

I love reading romances set in Greece, Cindy. cxxx

carol marinelli said...

Next time I visit my family, Linda, I want to go to Ireland. Love the people cxxx

Mary Preston said...

I think that anywhere & everywhere can be romantic. It's important to choose some place that has great significance to you I feel, or will become so. I'm thinking a 5 star hide-a-way in the countryside. Do they even exist?

carol marinelli said...

Yes, Mary, I love that feeling when you know you have found somewhere special that will mean a lot. 5 star in gorgeous countryside sounds fab. cxxx

Janine said...

I have seen the nesting dolls and always wanted one. Then, the shop I used to go to closed and I never got the chance to get one. Hopefully I will come across one some day.

Eli Yanti said...

Paris, i think this is the romantic place :)