Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Katherine Garbera: Calling All The Shots


Some books are born from a character that just won't leave me alone; others come from television shows I'm watching that make me wonder what if...?  Calling All The Shots (Harlequin Desire Nov. 2012) is one of those stories that combine both. 

I auditioned for a reality TV show called Four Weddings.  So at the forefront of my mind was the thought of sharing something significant in my life with television viewers.  I didn't make it on the show and was relieved to hear it! But my mind was already working on a way to use that experience in a book or in this case a series of books called Matchmakers, Inc. about a reality TV matchmaking show called Sexy & Single.
Willow Stead is the character that came to me first and who I wanted to write the entire time.  She's someone who doesn't let things go and can hold a grudge until she feels justice has been served.  And since most of us have thought one day I'm going to show them or get even, it was a natural jumping off point for me.  Also given the fact that this year was a significant high school reunion for me I was thinking about how when you're 18 everything feels so important.  So Willow was born with a heart-breaking back-story and a desire for revenge.

My hero had to be strong enough to be a match for her and Jack Crown is just that man.  He is someone who has had to start over more times than he can remember and is well adjusted simply because he doesn't look back.  Unlike Willow who keeps the past close to fuel her drive for the future, Jack shuts it away, pretends it never happened and moves on. 

I'm more like Jack.  I just don't care to worry over the past since I have no way to change it.  Once something happens I put it away and try to never think about it again.

What about you?  One randomly selected blog participant will receive some Matchmakers, Inc. swag, and autographed copies of the entire three-book series.

***Katherine's winner is Cara Bristol!  Please email totebag@authorsoundrelations.com with your mailing details!***

15 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I'm the kind of person that deals with things & then moves on. It does no good to dwell on every little thing.

Katherine Garbera said...

I agree that it doesn't do any good to dwell on things, Mary, but its hard sometimes to let it go.

Unknown said...

I am more like Willow, I tend to let the past cloud my judgement, especially about people in my past or situations that have happened. I am trying to change and become more of a person that does not worry about the past and how it will afect the future. Can't wait to read this book... And I love that show Four Weddings..

Pat Cochran said...

I'm getting better, but I still tend to worry
over problems a bit before I finally give up
and give over!

Pat C.

Laney4 said...

I used to dwell on it, especially when trying to sleep at night, always tossing and turning.
About the only blessing of being middle aged now is that my poor memory skills equate to not dwelling on things as much. Bonus! (If only I could see the silver lining with the rest of the 'menopausal' symptoms, LOL!)

erin said...

Thanks for the great post and giveaway! When I was younger, I used to agonize over the past, but luckily I've learned great coping mechanisms so that I don't dwell anymore :)

EllenToo said...

I learned not to worry over the past because nothing can be changed. I have enough things in the present to worry about although I have slowly learned there are things in the present that it is no use to worry about because you can't do anything about them.

Cathy P said...

My husband calls me a worry wort. I do tend to worry, although I am getting better at not doing it. As everyone says, it doesn't do any good, and it just makes you miserable. Katherine, thanks so much for the generous giveaway! Have a great weekend everyone!

*yadkny* said...

I've had to kind of train myself not to care. Things from big to small use to affect me although no one would really know it, but I've found that that kind of dwelling takes way too much energy and I was never happy because of it. Now I just have to realize that there isn't anything I can do and I just stop right there. I still have my moments, but it gets easier:)

yadkny@hotmail.com

Kimberlyindy said...

I have always been a worrier, but I am trying to be so much better about that, and getting rid of stress in my life. Can't wait to read this!

Lory Lee said...

I'm with you on this. That is why things have been a lot easier for me. Because I don't let myself get stuck with yesterday. I try to move on and learn from those mistakes that I did in the past.

Laurie G said...

When the children lived at home I tended to worry a lot especially if they were out with friends. Once they went off to college I put the bad thoughts behind me.

I worry before I take a trip but once I'm on the road I'm fine. I make a lot of lists which help to relieve my anxiety.

Once things are done I put it all behind me and look to the future to things I can still change.

Eli Yanti said...

i'm a thought person, when i got problem i always worry but try to calm down n find the solution even sometimes i like to postpone it T_T

Cara Bristol said...

It depends on the situation and the circumstance; some things hang with me, while I'm able to slough off others surprisingly easy. Maya Angelou said something like, if you know better, you do better. You can't keep beating yourself up for your mistakes.

penney said...

I agree too. I love the Desires books! Great blog today! Thanks
Penney