Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Telling It in Pictures by Fiona Lowe

My husband is a pretty good photographer. Let me qualify that. He is an awesome scenic photographer. Take him anywhere and he will capture the essence of the place he is standing with his camera. People photos? Not so much. I have an 'aim and shoot' for that and even so, we're lacking in family photos. I took us to a professional photographer a few years ago. Hmm, must be time to do that again. But I digress, back to the scenic photos.

We have a huge wall in our kitchen and on it we 'cycle' many of his photographs, six at a time. (sorry, I can't seem to take the photo without a shadow from the skylight)  The photo wall is a fabulous talking point when visitors come. We get them to guess where each of the six photos have been taken. I'm wondering if you can?

It might be a tad tricky but the top left is a picture of terraced rice paddies in Bali, the deck chairs are Blackpool Pier in the UK, the middle top is Maine in fall,  and underneath is the stunning Peyto Lake in the Canadian Rockies. The top right is one of my favourites and hard for you to see but its fall in Wisconsin...red barn, turning trees, harvested hay and a trip of still green corn. Gorgeous!  

So it was a logical progression with all these great photos to use them on my new website.  I'm thrilled with the way each book has its own banner, using a photo that represents where the book is set. For instance, Career Girl in the Country is set in Western Australia and here is Sturt Desert Pea taken on the side of the road in WA.


Boomerang Bride, my RT, RITA® and RuBY nominated book is set in Wisconsin so of course, I had to have a red barn!

My most recent Medical Romance, Sydney Harbour Hospital: Tom's Redemption is set in Sydney, Australia and we gave the banner a new twist. Here it is...we are standing next to one of the Opera House sails with the distinctive bridge in the distance.



I hope you enjoy the photos and that they enable you to get a feel for my stories. Meanwhile, I'll work on my dear husband to take a photo of me with my RITA® pin! Maybe if I dress up like a tree, it might help!


How do you display your photos?



Fiona Lowe is an award-winning, multi-published author with Harlequin and Carina Press. Whether her books are set in outback Australia or in the mid-west of the USA, they feature small towns with big hearts, and warm, likeable characters that make you fall in love. When she's not writing stories, she's a weekend wife, mother of two 'ginger' teenage boys, guardian of 80 rose bushes and often found collapsed on the couch. A current RITA nominee, you  can find her at her website, facebookTwitter and Goodreads.



17 comments:

Scarlet Wilson said...

Absolutely gorgeous pictures Fiona! What a talented man your husband is. Think my favourite so far is the on eof Maine in the fall. Lots of red, my favourite colour!

Rachael Johns said...

THAT wall is simply gorgeous! I like all the deck chairs :)

Kaelee said...

I recognized Peyto Lake but then it's got to be one of my favorite lakes. I don't think you mentioned where the boats are.

I'm in the middle of Boomerang Bride right now and I am really enjoying it.

Our photos are displayed on our fridge.

Annie West said...

Hi Fiona, what great photos. I was admiring on your new look website recently too. I love having a digital camera and being able to print or view pics so easily without hauling out an album. I'm wondering now about transferring some of the old slides into digital pics. That would be fun! I find settings inspirational for my stories and like you have inspiration shots for each book on my site - though often not taken by me.

Congratulations on the RBY nominations!

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

I wish we had some sort of gallery area... but a lot of our photos end up on the fridge or on our facebook.. or both...

Fiona Lowe said...

Thanks, Scarlett. I remember when he took that shot. I didn't even get out of the car!

Fiona Lowe said...

Rach, we argue over that photo. Not because we don't love it, we do and it's one of my faves but because I distinctly recall asking him to take it as it would make a fab shot and having to convince him of it. Then when we saw it he said, 'that was a good idea of mine' !

Fiona Lowe said...

Kaelee, you're right, I forgot the boats. They are fishing boats taken on an island in Malaysia. Yes, Petyo lake is stunning with the glacial scree.
So glad you're enjoying BB!

Fiona Lowe said...

Annie, thrilled you love the new look website. I do too! My 13 year old converted the photos into banners but from now on we are instructed to take 'panorama' shots!
We have one of those slide converters and they are great. We used them last year for my mum's 80th. So many slides to convert and so little time....

Fiona Lowe said...

Girlygirl, we had the photos scattered around our previous house in different spots before we ended up here with a gallery wall. I LOVE looking at pics on people's fridges. Oh and studying their magnets as well ;-)

Serena Tatti Story Editor said...

Hi Fiona,
What a talented hubby you have. The pics are great and love the idea of a gallery wall. So much talent in the Lowe household :)

We have photos in frames on a shelf in the lounge room and some scattered around the house. Ours are all family photos, and we have the odd painting or cross stitch (when I used to stitch) but most are photos ranging from a large black and white of my grandmother at age 19 to photos of our family, nieces and nephews, etc.

Mary Preston said...

I always forget to take photographs & if I do it takes 100 to get one decent one.

TashNz said...

Hi Fiona! Wow! They are amazing photos. I really like the idea of recycling them. One way I display my photo's is (for example) if I keep a record of my daughters netball season I upload a pic or two from the game onto Picassa and then crop away or make a collage then sent it off to the Picnik website to edit in whatever way to record the score and stuff... I upload the photo into Facebook for the family and then at the end of the season use another website called Snapfish, and make an album :) Takes alot of time but worth it in the end :))) Unfortunately Picnik is no longer exists but I can make do with Picasa for the moment.

Fiona Lowe said...

Thanks Serena,I'll pass on your comments to him. I love the older photos. We actually have another photo wall in our reading/music room and it is full of people photos!

Fiona Lowe said...

Marybelle, I hear you. I am usually enjoying myself at social functions I forget all about the camera.

Fiona Lowe said...

Tash, that sounds a fabulous thing to do. I use Picassa for my collages...photos to help me write a book but I haven't used it for anything else. My Dad and BIL use it to edit.

TashNz said...

Hi Fiona, yes, Picassa is brilliant for collages, they make sometimes-boring pics alot more interesting too. I feel silly because i've used it for years and only realised recently you can change a collage from portrait to landscape :/ Just wasnt looking properly at all the options I guess :))) It's so user friendly too.