Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Lines And More



I’m writing today with only one hand, and the left at that, courtesy of a shifty horse and a Mexican beach.

How’s that for an opening line? And an unfortunately true one. Try typing with your non-dominant hand sometime and marvel at how difficult a familiar keyboard becomes. So please pardon my brevity and all the typos!

My accident was a fairly common one, falling backward and stupidly using my hand to break my fall. But Mexico was gorgeous and one of my favorite places to be in winter. I crave sun and warmth this time of year. Perhaps that’s why I’ve placed my witchy Malcolm characters in California—so I can soak up their heat as I write!

Since I’m supposed to be chatting about my book and not my boo-boos, here’s the opening line from LURE OF SONG AND MAGIC:  Hollywood’s hottest producer seeks former teen sensation to find kidnapped son.

Hard to pack an entire story into one line, but I tried! And lest you’re left with the impression that this is a romantic suspense, let me assure you that Pippa and Oz are far too strong-willed to let plot get in the way of their conflict, or their romance. But have pity on my injured wrist and go take a look at the excerpt if you doubt me: http://patriciarice.com/Lureexcerpt1.pdf

Sourcebooks is offering books to  two lucky commenters. To start things off, why don’t you tell me if you like a touch of paranormal in your books and why or why not.


I blew up my last Facebook page but I’ve started another at: http://www.facebook.com/OfficialPatriciaRice   Stop by and check out the pics from my Mexican adventure! I’m accident prone, so Like the page and you can follow my misadventures.

If you prefer, you can reach me through my blog at http://www.patriciarice.blogspot.com or by stopping by my website at http://patriciarice.com/ and Twitter hasn’t kicked me out yet: https://twitter.com/#!/Patricia_Rice

So let me know how you like LURE and what you’d like me to do in the future (besides fall off horses). More Magic books? Historicals? Contemps?




***Marybelle and Maureen are the winners! Congratulations, ladies! Please send an email with your full name and mailing address to totebag@authorsoundrelations.com so we can get the prize in the mail! Thank you!***

9 comments:

Linda Henderson said...

I do like a touch of paranormal in my books. Contemporary romance will always be my first love, but paranormal romance is my second. I like all the possibilities, especially magic. I really enjoy books with magic. Of course the vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves, and such are good reads too but I do gravitate towards ones with witches.

seriousreader at live dot com

Patricia Rice said...

Sorry, I've been trying to log in but even though I have a blogger account, it's keeping me out. I now have another trick to try. Like magic, if one spell doesn't work, try another!

Linda, I prefer witches to vamps any day. I even have a witch series floating around in my head, but I'd need 4 hands instead of my current one to write everything in my head!

alainala said...

i tend to LOVE paranormals.. but im finding some things are slightly overdone (werewolves, vampires).. this one sounds phenomenal and really unique though, i would love to see more like this (magic is one of my fav things to read about)

alainala AT hotmail DOT ca

Maureen said...

I like a touch of paranormal in my stories, it adds a little bit of mystery.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Barbara E. said...

I love a touch of paranormal in my books, or even a lot more than a touch. It just adds more excitement and interest to me, to have unexplained or unexplainable elements in the story. I think The Lure of Song and Magic sounds fantastic and I can't wait to read it. Hope your wrist is better soon Patricia!

Barbed1951 at aol dot com

Di said...

It's actually my goal to read more paranormal romance in 2012 - since it sounds like this one fits the bill, I'll be looking for it.
sallans d at yahoo dot com

Patricia Rice said...

Glad to see my love of paranormal is shared! Thanks for the kind words and the doc says the cast comes off 2/3!

Debby said...

I do like paranormal. It adds so much more excitement. It also adds a bit of the unknown. You never know what to expect when paranormal is added in.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Mary Preston said...

A touch of paranormal can be very exciting. Worlds created & beings limited only by the imagination.