Pages

Friday, August 06, 2010

A Child Changes Everything - Stella MacLean

My latest Super Romance, A CHILD CHANGES EVERYTHING, is out this month. This story is so much a part of who I am as a person. Like Lisa Clarke, I couldn’t imagine ever having a baby. I didn’t baby sit very often. I was more interested in sports than dating and marriage. And quite frankly babies meant hours of work in my limited experience. Besides, the responsibility scared the wits out of me.
When my son was born, I discovered that a child changes your life in ways you couldn’t have understood before. Children render you essential in every way. Their need for your love and care consumes you, leaving you wondering what you did with all your free time BEFORE the child arrived in your life.
One of the most amazing things I learned from being a parent is that children see life from an entirely different perspective than adults do. They don’t filter what happens in their world, they simply react in the moment.
They are 100% real time little people.
Let me give you an example. I have a five-year-old granddaughter who lives in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and I talk to my daughter every day, mostly about her little girl.

When the mood strikes, my granddaughter talks to me as well. How I cherish those moments!

The other day I was chatting with my daughter when my granddaughter interrupted her mother with an urgent request involving more apple juice. When my daughter told her she was talking to me and she’d talk to her later, my granddaughter, without skipping a beat, said, “Put her on pause.”
When my daughter and I stopped laughing, we both agreed that it was a moment worth remembering. A moment that had no chance of coming into existence had it not been for a little girl and a mother who loved her.
So, you see, a child does change so much of how we see life, and how we interact with each other. Where would we be without children?

15 comments:

Jennie Marsland said...

Hello, Stella! The new book looks great, and it's so true. Children change everything, and they have a unique perspective.Hope you're having a great summer!

Julianne MacLean said...

I have a thirteen year old right now, and life is most DEFINITELY more exciting than ever. I can barely keep up! Can't wait to read your new book.

Debbie Kaufman said...

I think it's really cool to watch how my grandchildren change my children. When my son's daughter was born, his life changed drastically as she has many ongoing medical needs. Talk about having to grow up in a hurry! I'm so proud to see how it has changed him.

I'll have to download your book next time I'm on the eharlequin site!

Pamela Callow said...

Sounds like my own experience, Stella! I was the youngest in my neighbourhood and I had little babysitting experience before embarking on motherhood. I was so nervous! It is so true that a child changes everything- makes everything new again, challenges how you think, makes you a better person.

Best of luck with your new book. Can't wait to read it!

Pam

Unknown said...

Stella, like you I never thought about having children when I was younger. So, when I had my first daughter in my thirties everything changed for me, it was like I was a whole new person.

mary sullivan said...

Stella, children enrich our lives so much. I think the one very unexpected benefit I learned of having a child is how that person grows into a good, good friend as an adult.

It sounds like you and your daughter are very good friends ;-)

Mary

Stella MacLean said...

Thank you ladies for all your great comments. And it's true, children are wonderful little people.
Stella

Wanda said...

You have just the best stories, Stella! I am looking forward to the arrival of your book. Wanda in Edmonton

practimom said...

Children do change your life. and the funny things they say...my kids just amaze me!

Pat Cochran said...

Our own children say such amazing things! And we always share those
with others. But our grandchildren, ah, the astounding words they share
with us! (LOL!)

Pat Cochran

Unknown said...

My youngest adult daughter, is pregnant and we are looking forward with anticipation to the little one changing our lives around Feb 2011. Lots of work but much joy to look forward to also. Your book will be added to my daughter's Christmas gifts this year!

Annette Gallant said...

My experience is a little different. I'm the oldest of six, babysat for numerous relatives, became an elementary teacher, and always knew I wanted to be a mother. But when my oldest child was born I realized that none of my prior experience with children prepared me for how much a child changes everything.

Congratulations on your new release, Stella. Can't wait to read it!

Mary Kirkland said...

I had one child and after her I decided not to have anymore. lol They sure can be a handfull. She is now 19 and I love her dearly...even if she did give me a few gray hairs...

Anonymous said...

Wow, can I ever relate to that! Some days it seems I'm so into my sports and fitness that I'd never have time for kids. They're cute but I'm not sure I'm sold just yet. Give me another few years! :)

runner10 said...

How true!! A child does change everything. My children are the best thing that ever happened to me.