Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

It's All Good -- Michelle Monkou


Let me start of by saying this has been one hellafied year in the life of Michelle Monkou. When I have dreams about life and my glorified ambitions, they usually take place in locations that have the quality of paradise (non-specific, just gosh darn beautiful). The pace is calm and the mood is so inspiring and motivating-- Shrangi-la in the making.

But the reality resembles a piping hot, spicy pot of gumbo that bubbles over a roaring flame. While the cooking heats up, the expectation and hope are that the end results will be freaking fantastic.

Behind me, in the past, I (not personally) had to deal with the responsibility of relocating a writer conference due a natural disaster; my 78 year old mother's dismal post-operative state from back surgery; a book deadline; kids' end of school bustle; and my sister-in-law's battle with breast cancer.



At a self-imposed writer retreat from the world or I'll-go-crazy moment, a black bear came out of the woods and proceeded to rip apart the trash receptacle. He couldn't get in, but that didn't stop him from trying. I watched his tenacity instead of writing--more fun and it required less of me to watch his progress.

A friend suggested that maybe that's my animal totem. I'm not of native American tradition or any religious group that follows animal totem. So I mean no offense to anyone. However, I looked up the meaning of a bear. Just as the bear rests during the winter and awakens during the spring, a person should rest and reflect, achieve a higher consciousness and rejuvenate when the time is right. But then there is time to be assertive and step up to be a leader and fearless in defending her belief.


So looking ahead, I will be attending a fantastic conference with over 2,000 people. My mother is doing well and on the road to recovery. My book deadline, well, now I have another one. My sister-in-law just finished her treatment and is heading back to work as she also heals and recovers.

So instead of thinking - What the bleep is going on with my life!

I'll simply count my blessings. Ya'll have a wonderful day.


Michelle Monkou
The Millionaire's Ultimate Catch
Ready for Pre-order
October 2010







7 comments:

Christina Hollis said...

You've had quite a year, Michelle. There's a terrific buzz about the conference, and it's great that you're managing to be upbeat about your grandmother and sister in law. Best wishes to them, and to you for all your hard work.

But watching the bear? I'd have been hiding inside the nearest cupboard, with my eyes tight shut!

Jeanne (AKA The Duchesse) said...

Hi Michelle! You HAVE had a year! Aren't you glad it's going so well? Grins. Glad to know your Mom and Sis are both on the road to recovery. As to the bear, well, perseverance is a trait you share with him in huge measure. You've got serious stick-to-it-ivness. Grins. And a lot of people in your corner cheering you on. *Shakes pom-poms, cheers!* I'm glad you didn't let it get you down and I'm thrilled to see a new Monkou our on the shelves and that you've got one in the works too. MOST excellent! Wheee!
I've got a lot to be thankful for too, and it would take waaaay to long to list it, but great hubby, great kids, good writing mojo and pending negotiations. It's alllll good. Grins.

Debra Key Newhouse said...

Michelle, as one of your admirers, I have to say you have handled your journey with grace, humor and dignity. You are quite the inspiration, ya know? I personally believe in totems, only because I kept having a certain animal all but hit me over the head to take notice. Once I read about the animal, and getting over "why can't I have a lion or a tiger or a bear, oh my", I started liking the, oh ok, I'll say what it is....raccoon.

I'm sending healing vibes that the women in your family continue with their healing.

I cannot wait for the conference. The closer it gets, the more excited I am. Except I still need some shoes and clothes. Must go shop. Luckily, that's not a problem lol

And I am sooooo pre-ordering your book just for the cover, although I happen to be a fan of your writing also. :-)

Tricia Greenbaum said...

Such a strength building journey you have taken, Michelle. I marvel at the way you handle each and every new challenge with a quiet fortitude until you conquer them all.

Totem, karma, personal character, whatever. You've got it by the buckets, my friend!

practimom said...

I am glad you have had a good year. i guess you have to take the bad with the good, cause without the bad, why would the good be good? I am very happy your mom is doing better. Good, good, good!

Linda Henderson said...

I hope you have a wonderful time at the conference and may all your family members be well.

Dina said...

Hope this it a good yr for you Michelle.