Pages

Thursday, October 08, 2009

the Kite Runner

Last night I wanted The Kite Runner. I’m sure many of you have watched it, but for those who haven’t, it’s about a young Afghan boy facing a moral dilemma. Eventually his family flees the country when the Russians invade, and we follow him through his life until his thirties. But always, this childhood moral dilemma hangs over him. It was a very powerful movie and, I’m sure, it was a very powerful book, though I haven’t read it yet. It’s now on my TBR list. What I loved about the story was that it was an every-day man story in that we all face moral dilemmas in our lives. Some dilemmas are much worse than others, and sometimes we make the wrong choice. Sometimes that has far reaching consequences. I’m sure we can all think of things we wish we could undo.

I’d love to hear about books you’ve read recently where there was a moral dilemma. I love reading light and fluffy, but it's also nice to have some heavier stuff, too. Let’s expand our reading lists together!

For those of you who leave a comment (please leave your email address so I can contact you), I’ll put you in for a drawing of an autographed copy of Open Invitation. I’ll also add you to my newsletter for updates on Yours for the Night, Hers for the Evening, Laced with Desire and other releases.

Please be sure to stop by my new website Jasmine Haynes for an excerpt of my November release, Yours for the Night.

Jasmine, Jennifer and JB!
http://www.skullybuzz.com
Newsletter: skullybuzz-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Blog: http://jasminehaynes.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Sorry I was late, everyone!

Armenia said...

I have not seen or read the Kite Runner. Sounds pretty interesting.

As far as moral dilemma? One I always tend to remember is your story, SOMEBODY'S LOVER. I felt the anguish for Jace Jackson on his trying to resolve his feelings for his dead brother's wife, Tyler Jackson. He's always loved her but respectfully never acts on it until she decides to come out of her mourning and start dating again. He wants her but is torn about familial emotions behind the affair. It just tore at my heartstrings.

Armenia said...

Oops, forgot my email:

armiefox at yahoo dot com

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Oh Armenia, thanks so much for saying that about Somebody's Lover. I'm glad the dilemma Jace faced came across and tugged at your heartstrings, too! Thank you!

Mary Kirkland said...

The latest book I read was Dark Curse. I haven't read a whole lot in the past few days. I really need to get back to the library to pick up some more books.

me8acat at yahoo dot com

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Dark Curse by Christine Feehan, Mary? She's always wonderful.

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Have you read The Bookseller of Kabul? It's set in Afghanistan (I think!) and is the true story of a reporter/journalist who immersed herself with a local family. Fascinating reading, you forget it's a true story. It made me angry that women are still treated as second class citizens/property in this day and age.

pspinney AT cox DOT net

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

No, I haven't read The Bookseller of Kabul, Patti, but it sounds very interesting. I'll pick it up! Thanks for the recommendation!

Jane said...

I read and enjoyed Jennifer Haymore's "A Hint of Wicked." The heroine faces an emotional dilemma than a moral one in which she has to choose between two men.

janie1215 AT excite DOT com

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Emotional dilemmas are good, too, Janie! Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm off to choose the winner of Open Invitation, back in a few!

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Patti, congratulations! You're the winner of Open Invitation. I'll be sending you an email!

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Mari said...

The most recent book I read where the heroine had a seemingly impossible dilemma was Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore.
Another movie with a dilemma that made me cry was Sophie's Choice!

runningmatey at hotmail dot com

Mary Kirkland said...

Jasmine, sorry I didn't get back here sooner. But yes it was Dark Curse by Christine Feehan. Loved that book. :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't read non romance book in a long time (so many different sub-genres to enjoy).
Thanks for the recommendation though ;-)

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thanks, Mary, thought I had the author right on Dark Curse.

And you're welcome, Emmanuelle. Sometimes I love to branch out of the genre!

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Mari, you're so right, Sophie's Choice was a huge dilemma. And the horrible thing was how it was forced on her.

Virginia C said...

Hello! In HEALING LUKE by Beth Cornelison, the close relationship between two brothers is shaken by a horrific accident. Luke, the brother who was permanently disfigured by an explosion, blames his brother for being careless and causing the accident. Used to being a ladies man who took his good looks for granted, Luke has to learn to live all over again. He also must forgive his brother in order for his whole family to heal from the aftermath of a tragic twist of fate.

gcwhiskas at aol dot com