Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Why? - Christina Hollis

Those three little letters go together to make one big question. Writers are a curious bunch, in more ways than one. Not only are they drawn from all walks of life and all around the globe, every one of them has a different way of working. Their reasons for becoming authors vary, too. When I’m asked why I write, I can answer in any number of ways. The most important one for me is that I absolutely love it. I’m never happier than when I’m creating an imaginary world, and putting my latest hero and heroine through the emotional mill. My family would probably say I’m a better person when I’m busy working on a book, too. It never feels like work to me, though!

Despite their differences, authors have at least one thing in common. They all enjoy the challenge of asking their characters those big, important life questions. Even the most retiring author can get a taste for manipulating her page-bound men. It’s so much more satisfying when you’ve got the time to consider a really good retort. When a writer gets that terrible ‘Oh, how I wish I’d said that!’ feeling in real life, they can save it up for use on a drop-dead gorgeous guy they’ve designed themselves. Conjuring up exotic, sundrenched locations when the day is bleak and wet outside is another great advantage writers have. And as for revelling in all that delicious food…it’s lucky that fictional calories don’t count. What a shame the same can’t be said for all the research we have to do to get the detailed descriptions exactly right. My latest death-by-dessert favourite is nid d’abeilles. It’s a delicious treat of light, sweet brioche filled with crème anglais, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with toasted almonds. Just thinking about it makes me want to sneak off to the local patisserie!

Why we all read romance is a bit easier to fathom. It’s the perfect escape. A lovely wind down at the end of a hectic day, and a little bit of excitement before dropping off to sleep always puts a sparkle in your eyes next day.
What are you reading at the moment?

Christina Hollis is currently running a competition with prizes of her September release for Harlequin Presents; The Tuscan Tycoon’s Pregnant Housekeeper for the winners. Visit http://www.christinahollis/ for more details.

9 comments:

Mary Kirkland said...

Right now I'm just starting bad Moon Rising by Sherrilyn Kenyon. I have loved all the books in this series so far.

Christina Hollis said...

They're great, aren't they? I must confess I haven't got around to Bad Moon Rising yet. Let me know what you think!

EllenToo said...

I just finished reading "His Brother's Bride-To-Be" by Patricia Kay and about to start a medical romance by Marion Lennox.

Christina Hollis said...

Yes, I have to admit Harlequin romances are my favourite fiction reads. I've just finished Lynne Graham's 'The Spanish Billionaire's Pregnant Wife' which I got months ago, but lost it before I could read it. That was doubly maddening, as it is part of a trilogy!

cheryl c said...

I am reading BAD BOYS IN KILTS by Donna Kaufman. It has 3 stories about 3 brothers in Scotland. It is very entertaining.

Christina Hollis said...

I've just looked 'Bad Boys...' up, and it looks hilarious. Does anyone know if Donna Kaufman is going to write the fourth brother's story?

cheryl c said...

Christina, Donna Kaufman has written about the 4th brother. The book is called THE GREAT SCOT. I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

Mary Kirkland said...

Christina, Bad Moon Rising was well worth the wait! Definitely a book I would recommend reading if you like the others in this series. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
Vince
Increase your brand popularity overnight