Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Music For Inspiration--Michelle Monkou


NEW WINNER ANNOUNCED: Laney4, please contact me at michellemonkou@comcast.net. Folks, please make sure to have your blogger profile completed with an email.

Now that I've taken the step to being a full time writer, I'm in heavy organizing mode to keep me on task. Every morning, I have my IPod and select my power walking music. It's a mish mosh of songs with heavy bass, drums, or just a good rhythmic beat. My line up includes Cobra Starship, Mary Mary, Lady Gaga, Mary J Blige, Tokio Hotel, Robyn and the list goes on. I can get a full hour of walking, and light...very light jogging, with my line up.

Then I'm back in the house, showered and dressed ready to face the blinking line on the computer that awaits my input. I'm using a preventative measure from getting entrenched in the soap operas, game shows, or talk shows by not turning on the TV until 3 p.m. The kids are home from school at that time, so there is that short period of chaos when they are bursting to tell me the latest happenings in school.

Instead of looking at TV during the day, I play the radio or listen to my IPod. I love writing to music. I can listen to classical, heavy metal, some hip hop, and pop. The music, the lyrics, the entire package energizes me and gets my own creativity flowing.

Is music a part of your daily living?

What songs or artists do you listen to?

Share, maybe we'll introduce each other to new music, new artists.

CONTEST: As a thank you for sharing, I'll pick a random winner for my latest release - Only In Paradise. This story has a tropical theme, so you have to think reggae, calypso, or even reggaeton while reading.


Michelle
Trail of Kisses - February 2010

15 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Michelle - I have to to admit to being an '80's rocker. The louder the better! Of course over the years I have mellowed somewhat (!) but still blast out a bit of heavy rock/metal when I feel a bit stressed. Screaming the words to a Motorhead/Van Halen/Rainbow or Led Zepplin or AC/DC song is a great stress reliever believe me! Take care. Caroline x

Laney4 said...

Music is definitely a part of my daily living.

When I'm on the computer, I click on the link for my local radio station's web site (Google "Mix 97"), and I listen to their feed. If anyone knows of other web sites where I could listen to music, please do tell, as I haven't been successful in finding any that don't require special programs in order to activate them....

Music is always playing in my car, usually the same radio station, although I have been known to change channels when bored. I frequently listen to my favourite CD by local artists (Google "Sweet Harmony" and Brighton for a few of their songs).

When I have to drive more than half an hour, then I crank up the radio and sing to my heart's content in order to stay awake. Apparently it isn't good if you fall asleep while driving....

I guess I listen to soft rock and easy country mostly. I enjoy Taylor Swift, Phil Collins, Barenaked Ladies, Paul Brandt, Miley Cyrus, Michael Buble, and hosts of others.

Thanks for offering a lovely giveaway!

Estella said...

My radio is on all the time. Home and car. I only listen to country. Some of my favorite artists are Alan Jackson, George Strait, Garth Brooks, Gretchen Wilson, and Brooks and Dunn.

Michelle Monkou said...

Caroline,

I graduated from school in '83, so I know what you mean. Bon Jovi is one of my all time faves.

As far as heavy metal, I'd go with Metallica.

The memories.

Michelle Monkou said...

Hi Laney4,

I discovered http:cherrytreerecords.com/radio, it's only their musicians, but there might be stuff that you like.

Michelle

Michelle Monkou said...

Estella

Love Gretchen. How about Naomi Judd - another singer with attitude.

What do you think of the split of Brooks and Dunn, especially after so many years. I imagine it may take a few years to form their own identity.

Michelle

The Pineapple Tart said...

Hard to believe, when I write romantic novels, set in rural Ireland, but my music of choice Nirvana

Laurie G said...

I love music. Unfortunately, I can't carry a tune! I have music on while I'm on the computer, driving, cooking, running...

I love classic rock. The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Moody Blues, LedZepplin, Jethro Tull, Bad Company, The Beach Boys, CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, The Rolling Stones, Steve Winwood...

I enjoy Chris DeBurgh, John Denver, Jason Mraz, Dan Hill, Daughtry, Bryan Adams,Peter Yorn, Jimmy Buffet, Bob Marley, Leo Kottke...

I also like Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love listening to music while I'm reading or writing. I have music on all the time. Some of what I listen to are the 80's hair bands, I still love Cinderella and Europe. But Apocalyptica, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Coheed and Cambria, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Dredg, Ashes Divide and Red are probably my favorites right now.

Laney4 said...

Michelle: I'll check your tip out re Cherry Tree Records when I get back to the pc (as I see I have to install a media player of some sort first). Many thanks!

Michelle Monkou said...

Mary, I haven't heard of any those bands. I must make this a project to broaden my horizons LOL.

Michelle

Michelle Monkou said...

Laurie,

Love your line up. Would you believe my 15 yr old daughter thinks the Beatles are the best band, ever!!

Michelle

Michelle Monkou said...

Laurie,

You've won the contest. Please email me at michellemonkou@comcast.net

Michelle Monkou said...

Sorry, Laurie, didn't hear from you, but email me anyway.

Laney4, you're up next for the prize. Thanks for having your blogger profile filled so I can contact you.

Laney4 said...

Thank YOU, Michelle! That is very generous of you. I'm about to email you the details (yes, I got your email just fine, thank you), but if you hear from Laurie, by all means send HER the book instead of me, as I'm sure she'll update her blogger info once she knows otherwise. (I too didn't realize about that info until about a month ago when an author chided me in her blog; I sure appreciated knowing about it so I could add my email info -- but I didn't add much else, as blogs ARE an invasion of privacy but a necessary evil for blogging on others' web sites!)