Pages

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Celebrating milestones - Paula Roe

A while back, a question was asked on one of my author loops about writing milestones and what authors do to celebrate them.

So what better way than with one of this years’ must-haves, the Pandora charm bracelet! For those of you unfamiliar with it, Pandora jewelry is a Danish company that sells (amongst other gorgeous things) snake bracelets and individual charms in sterling silver, 9k gold and Murano glass you can add and take off as whim dictates. Here’s mine so far and what each charm stands for.

The suitcase – for my first book, which had my Danish hero travelling to Australia

The pink heart – for my second book, as part of the Diamonds Down Under series, which featured rare pink diamonds

The baby carriage – a pregnancy was the main driving force in my third book, The Magnate’s Baby Promise (August 2009)

The little girl – my fourth book (June 2010) features the heroine’s gorgeous five-month old girl, Bella.

The book – both me and my crit partner have these to signify, yep – our love of books and writing!I also bought two colorful glass beads just to break up the silver (and because they were so pretty :-))

I’ve bought a few more on eBay from Italian designer Biagi but I’m not ready to add them, seeing as the books they represent haven’t been contracted yet and I don’t want to jinx myself! They include a sexy stiletto for what will be my next book, and tropical palms, an airplane and a tiara for a trilogy I’m still developing. And besides satisfying my obsession for jewelry, these charms are something visual and significant that helps me focus when it comes to writing the story.

So, how do you celebrate important moments in your life? With something significant? Or purely fun, like a special day out, dinner at a favorite restaurant or a frivolous gift?


When she’s not shopping, Paula is writing. Her current release is The Magnate’s Baby Promise (Silhouette Desire), out now on the shelves. Last year’s Boardrooms & A Billionaire Heir is shortlisted for Romance Writers of Australia’s prestigious Romantic Book of the Year award in the “Short Sexy” category. Visit her at http://www.paularoe.com/

7 comments:

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Hi, Paula. I have a charm bracelet, too, but with the old-fashioned dangly charms for each book published. Need one for Magnate; you have reminded me.

In the picture the heart looks red and I thought it might be for the R*BY nomination. :-)

Bron

Beverley Eikli aka Beverley Oakley said...

What a great way to celebrate milestones, Paula, and what a beautiful charm bracelet. I think I should adopt a similar idea. It would be great for morale.

Beverley

CC Coburn said...

Hi P,
I'm looking forward to checking out your bracelet in Bris. I'm not a jewellery wearer at all (don't even bother with a wedding band) but I've been admiring the Troll Beads that look similar to the cuties on your bracelet.
To celebrate my first advance check I bought a fully automatic coffee machine (I am so not romantic!):-)
Haven't thought what to buy with advances #2&3 although there was a tempting article on the Cook Islands in the Weekend Australian... :-)
CC

cheryl c said...

I love your bracelet! What a wonderful idea for marking milestones.

Paula Roe said...

hey Bron - I shamelessly got the idea from you :) Yep, make sure you get a bead for that fabbo book (can't wait for it to hit our shelves next week!)

Hi Beverley! It's great to be able to get something that's not only pretty but also a talking point. And I love jewelery :D

CC, I think I'd love an auto coffee machine too LOL.

Hi Cheryl! The best things about the bracelet is that it's so affordable and many other bead brands can fit it. And it's unique, too, which I always love.

Mary Kirkland said...

I love the bracelet idea, that's too cute. I usually make a scrapbook page to celebrate a big milestone. I've been doing the scrapbooks for about 3 years and it's really relaxing to do as well.

Paula Roe said...

mary, that's a great idea! Sort of like collaging for a story :)