Pages

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Best Christmas Movie - Megan Crane

My husband and I like to do very little on Christmas besides feast and watch movies. I insist on a strict schedule of holiday movies, the better to celebrate decked halls, egg nog, and carols sung by the fire. (Or in our case, the hot-as-fire southern California winds.) What we watch changes a little bit from year to year, but is built around the same stable of favorites:

1. Home for the Holidays. This is actually a Thanksgiving movie (perhaps the only Thanksgiving movie besides Planes, Trains & Automobiles-- right?), but I don't always remember to watch it at Thanksgiving. If I don't, we watch it at Christmas.

2. Love, Actually. Even THINKING about this movie makes me happy. I just love it so much!

3. The Holiday. Okay, so, I actually don't think this a good movie. At all. And yet, I like to watch it at Christmas. It makes me feel happy and gooey, and sometimes that's all that's required.

4. A Christmas Story. This is usually run on repeat on cable for 24 hours over Christmas, but I have the DVD, just in case. I actually saw this in the theater when I was a kid, and find I am still overcome with the same sense of wonder. It's the best!

Sometimes we watch The Sound of Music. This year I plan to watch Flirting with Forty again, because it's so Christmas-y and yummy. This year I might dig out some of the old Christmas musicals to watch, because I loved those.

What am I forgetting? What are your bedrock, must-see Christmas movies?

11 comments:

Alyson Noel said...

PIECES OF APRIL is my favorite Thanksgiving/holiday movie-- LOVE it!

But, I also insist on watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, and CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS- the only two traditions I stick to!

Happy Holidays!

Avi J said...

Home Alon 1 and 2 are a must every year. I never get tired of them.

Gina said...

Look who's talking now is my must see show. I love to watch animal shows.

cheryl c said...

I agree with all of your picks. I also like watching White Christmas.

Maureen said...

It's a Wonderful Life and The Grinch (animated version) are two of my favorites.

Unknown said...

Ever watched The Family Stone with Diane Keaton? It's wonderful with a ton of family dynamics and tears at the end.

Anonymous said...

My annual viewing list usually includes -- The Pinky and the Brain Christmas Special, the History Channel's History of Christmas, I Love Lucy's Christmas Special, Home Alone 2 if not both 1 and 2. . . and that's all I'm thinking of at the moment. But I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something. . . but sure tear up at the Pinky and the Brain one, everytime! :)

Lois

Pam said...

I totally agree with Home for the Holidays! The only movie I'd add to your list is The Ref--hysterical!

Helen said...

Some of my favourite Christmas movies are
Miracle On 34th Street
Home Alone 1 and 2
White Christmas
Its A Wonderful Life
Santa Clause The Movie

Have Fun
Helen

Michele L. said...

I always love to watch CHARLIE BROWN CHIRSTMAS and RUDOLPH. I watched these as a kid and still love them! Oh, and love the old cartoon shorts called SUZY SNOWFLAKE and HARD ROC, COCO AND JOE.

I like MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, A CHRISTMAS STORY, SCROOGE, and WHITE CHRISTMAS.

That sure sounds fun starting a movie tradition each year with my hubby.

Have a wonderful Christmas season!
Michele L.

Lori Ann said...

Scrooged with Bill Murray is a fun Christmas movie. I also watch Love Actually, A Christmas Story, It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year.