Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2008

5 Books I Read Over the Summer

My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I wasn’t sure how she was going to end this book, and while I wasn’t thrilled with the ending, the alternative would have been equally as disturbing. What I did find remarkable about this story was how each of the seven main characters got to tell things from their own point of view and in their own font! LOL I know that sounds silly, but the font changes from chapter to chapter added to overall feel I had for each character.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

I’d seen these books but hadn’t paid much attention to them because I’m not a big fan of the vampire thing. But my friend Kristina Cook and I made a deal. She’d read My Sister’s Keeper if I read Twilight. All I can say is ‘wow!’. I’ve since read books 2 & 3 in the series and have the 4th one, but haven’t started it yet. Twilight is by far my favourite at this point, and believe they made a perfect casting choice in choosing Robert Pattinson (Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter) to play Edward in the movie.

Wild Hunt by Lori Devoti

Lori started out writing romantic comedy for the Zebra Debut line and then got snapped up by Silhouette to write for their Nocturne line. In my little corner of the world, I had never even heard of a hellhound or the Valkyrie until Lori introduced them to me, and to be honest, I wasn’t sure what to think before I started reading her Nocturnes. And now I can’t wait for her next one to come out. When you read her books, you’re there, you’re in the action, and everything about that world is real – in fact, during the fight scenes in Wild Hunt, it was like I could feel Venge’s pain. Read it!!

How WalMart is Destroying America (and the World), and What You Can do About It by Bill Quinn

A friend gave me this book to read and while I shop at WalMart regularly, I am finding this book to be quite interesting. Yes, it’s written by a man who has a personal axe to grind, but he freely admits that right up front, so you know what you’re getting in for right from page 1. We had a WalMart open up in our town almost two years ago, and while things overall seem to be fine, some of the things Mr. Quinn mentions in this book are definitely going on here, which is a little worrisome.

One For the Money by Janet Evanovich

Okay, I admit it. I’d never read a Stephanie Plum book until last month. My friend talked the series up so much, I finally broke down and bought the first two in the series, and I quite enjoyed this book! It was funny, a little bit silly, and a little bit creepy, too. The story wasn’t creepy, just one particular character. . . ick. And now I’m going to have to read all of them because I want to see what happens between her and Joe Morelli. Or her and Ranger. . . J


What I’m reading next. . .

Hidden by Eve Kenin (I finally wrestled my copy back from my sister)

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

39 Clues, The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (okay, I bought it for the kids, but. . .)

In Darkest Depths & The People of the Forest by David Thompson

Boone’s Lick by Larry McMurtry

The Gunslinger’s Untamed Bride by Stacey Kayne (started this one a while back, then lost the book in the chaos of my life. Just found it again)

And the list goes on. . . .

What good reads did you enjoy this summer? And what ones are you looking forward to this fall?

6 comments:

Jane said...

Nora Roberts' "Tribute" was one of my favorite summer reads. Nora never disappoints. I also loved "The Angel" by Carla Neggers, "Dark and Dangerous" by Jeanne Adams "Freefall" by JoAnn Ross. I looking forward to reading the new releases of Stephanie Laurens, Tara Janzen and Beverly Barton.

Laura Drewry said...

I haven't read Tribute yet, Jane, but of course you're right - Nora never disappoints. :)

Kathleen said...

I read and really enjoyed The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields, The Color Purple by Alice Walker and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Other books too of course, but those were my favs.

Jennifer Y. said...

What a great list! I need to try some of those books...hmm...I read a lot this summer. I finally read the entire Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

There are way too many books to list that I am looking forward to...LOL. I need to get Twilight...I have been told by many people that I would enjoy them.

cheryl c said...

I read and enjoyed the following:
The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn, Magic in His Kiss by Shari Anton, Letters to a Secret Lover by Toni Blake, Possessed by the Highlander by Terri Brisbin, Not Another Bad Date by Rachel Gibson, Sweet Talk by Susan Mallery, Creme Brulee Upset by Laurel Bradley, Her One Desire by Kimberly Killion, Duchess by Night by Eloisa James, and quite a few others! As you can tell, I LOVE to read!

ChristyJan said...

I read and loved ALL of Stephenie Meyers Twilight books series: TWILIGHT, NEW MOON, ECLIPSE and BREAKING DAWN
I also read and enjoyed HIS WICKED SINS by Eve Silver
SEX AND THE PSYCHIC WITCH by Annette Blair
FRACTURED by Karin Slaughter
SAM'S CREED by Sarah McCarty
STONE CREEK by Victoria Lustbader
And, WILD CARD and NAUTI DREAMS by Lora Leigh

I'm looking forward to reading MERCURY'S WAR by Lora Leigh, PROMISES REVEAL by Sarah McCarty, DEADLY GIFT, HARVEST and NIGHT (all three books) by Heather Graham and HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SCREAM by Mignon F. Ballard