Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Rest, Revive and Restore - Christina Hollis


I’ve been so busy lately there’s hardly been time to look up between researching, writing and, it has to be said, some re-writing. Now and again those heroes just don’t want to play ball. But everyone needs a break, and Christmas is coming up fast on the inside rail. Time spent clearing out the stores and baking in preparation reminded me why I decided not to become a professional cook. All that time on my feet, the hot claustrophobia of the kitchen and one eye always on the timers…no thanks! After a few days of that, I needed a day off to recharge my batteries before the big celebration.

An hour’s drive away from us, there’s a big nature reserve. It has all sorts of habitats from mudflats to farmland, and plenty of feeding stations. It’s the perfect place for some rest and relaxation. In theory, nothing could be further from my every-day desk bound life. I’d be leaving it all behind. In practice, I ended up taking half of it with me. Bag bursting with food, drink, notepad, sketchbook and pencils, I parked the car and set off into the wilderness. But it wasn’t so deserted after all. Unknown to me, a rare bird had just taken up residence. More people than usual were packed into the largest hide. But even that had its compensations.

One of them was an absolutely drop dead gorgeous guy – perfect hero material! He’d been sent to cover the story by a local newspaper. With the dark good looks of Rufus Sewell, but absolutely no interest in the job he’d been given, he was at a loose end. His photographer had won a lot of money at a glamorous poker game the night before, so to the fury of the real birdwatchers around them, they spent the whole time discussing it. Nobody saw the rare bird, but the time wasn’t totally wasted. While others moaned, I made notes. Now all I have to do is put my own experiences together with the ones I heard being discussed. Then I can try and work out how many ways a poker-playing hero might get a cordon-bleu chef all hot and bothered!

My next blog will be after Christmas, so let me wish you all a peaceful and happy holiday season right now. And don’t forget to drop in on the http://www.eharlequin.com/ Open House chat on 19th December 2007. I’ll be popping in and out during the day, along with lots more Harlequin Mills and Boon authors.

Meanwhile, who would you like to find, waiting under your bouquet of mistletoe?

Christina

9 comments:

saveypiratecat said...

A nature reserve sounds really good about now. Like the cover on your book too.

saveypiratecat said...

Christina I sent my comment in before i told you Happy Holidays

Christina Hollis said...

Thanks, saveypiratecat. Happy holidays to you, too, and everyone else who visits Tote Bags 'n' Blogs!

Jane said...

I want to be under the mistletoe with Christian Bale. I agree that your cover is lovely. Merry Christmas.

Christina Hollis said...

Yes, Christian's definitely on my shortlist, too, along with Rufus Sewell. Though if forced to choose, my OH would win every time!

Wolfy said...

I really like your cover, and I like the idea of a nature reserve right about now, just to get away from all the hype.

Happy holidays.

Tam G. said...

Fabulous cover!!!

Donna Alward said...

Your post made me laugh because we spent Saturday at a park birdwatching. I got great pics and we all had a fabulous time. And even though I wasn't with a drop dead gorgeous photog, (my apologies to my eldest's teacher, who invited us and brought his large camera)I did think of how at some point that morning is going to show up in a book! LOL!

Maureen said...

I think it's great that you went to a nature preserve and found a hero for a book.