Pages

Monday, December 31, 2007

Comfort Reads and Family Series—Barbara Pierce

Happy New Year’s Eve, Everyone!

With the exception of coming down with a nasty cold just before Christmas, this has been a productive month for me. My draft for Scandalous by Night is in my editor’s hands, Naughty by Nature hit the stores early this month, and I just heard Sinful Between the Sheets is a Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award nominee for Best Sensual Historical!

I’ve had so much fun writing about the Carlisle family. I was a huge fan of family series books long before I was published. The appeal as a reader was the enjoyment of catching up with beloved characters after they’ve had their happily-ever-after. As I writer, I’ve learned that as much as I love the characters from previous books, there is a delicate balance that must be maintained. You’re striving to satisfy faithful fans of the series, while not overwhelming new readers with a lot of back story or distracting secondary characters.

Thoughts of old favorites had me rummaging through my book boxes this afternoon. This week I’ve been catching up on movies, but now I’m in the mood for some old comfort reads. The first book I pulled out was Johanna Lindsey’s Gentle Rogue. James Mallory. I still sigh when I think about him and his brother Anthony. I have a weakness for unrepentant rakes.

Next, I removed Jude Devereaux’s Montgomery and Taggert books. I haven’t read The Raider in years. However, I do recall a hilarious scene where everyone in the village including dogs, cats, and horses where parading around in black masks and capes.

Another box contained Lorraine Heath’s Texas trilogy. I adored her Leigh brothers. All of Heath’s books fall under the category of books that I will never loan or give away. Mary Jo Putney’s Bride series and Catherine Coulter’s Sherbrooke series are also keepers.

That’s just a few of my favorite historical series. I also read contemporaries, short contemporaries, and paranormals—Well, you get the idea. I love books! What about you? What series books are your old favorites? What new series books are you looking forward to in 2008?

Happy Reading!

Barbara
www.barbarapierce.com

10 comments:

Karen H said...

I think my favorites are The Bridgerton's by Julia Quinn and The Cynster's by Stephanie Laurens. But, I have several unread series books on my TBR shelf that I plan on starting ASAP in 2008..including Barbara's Bedegrayne and Carlisle Famiy books. Just a quirk of mine but I tend to not start reading a series until I have all books in my hand (with the exception of the Cynsters).

Lily said...

I love The Cynster's by Stephanie Laurens... but I don't really know what series are coming out this year!

Maureen said...

I loved Eloisa James series of sisters and Julia Quinn's Bridgertons. Stephanie Laurens Cynsters were great fun too.

Barbara Pierce said...

Karen, I feel the same what about series books. It's one of the reasons why I haven't read Stephanie Lauren's Cynster series. How many books are there? 20?

Oh, I forgot to add Gaelen Foley & Lisa Kleypas to my list of favorites.

Lois said...

Oh geez, I love series books. . . just pretty much other than some of what's already been mentioned, I'm at a total loss as to what I've read and loved! LOL What can I say, I'm pooped. ;) But I'm sure a person who prefers reading them in order, whether you have to or not. . . and I so understanding reading all of a series together once they are all out. But I tend to not be able to wait, so I've been rereading the books before the new one. Guess that could mean a lot of rereading for some rather long series!! LOL

Lois

Wolfy said...

I love series books - and usually love to get the whole set and then read them one after the other. There are a couple of series that have a lot of books to them and I tend to read them as they come out.

Hope everyone has a great New Years and all the best for 2008.

Barbara Pierce said...

The biggest problem for me is time. I used to read 2-5 new books a week. Now that I'm published, I'm lucky if I read that many in a month. To squeeze a little reading time into my schedule, I tend to reread books because this allows me to skim to my favorite parts:)

Estella said...

My favorite is the Death series by JD Robb.

Michele L. said...

Phillipa Carr (aka Victoria Holt) book series
They are fantastic!
Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum series
Shana Abe', The Smoke Thief, The Dream Thief, series
I just discovered her. She is an awesome writer!
and many others!

I really enjoy series books!

Happy New Year!
Michele L.

Unknown said...

I am dying to read the new books in Kresley cole's Immortal After Dark series as well as Lynsay Sands's Argeneau series.

I still adore the Mallorys by Johanna Lindsey, although I find that I prefer her earlier works!
Katie Macalister (Aisling Grey), Christine Warren, Shiloh Walker, Angela Knight (Mageverse), Gena Showalter, Gaelen Foley, Christina Dodd, Shana Abe, Julia Quinn, Amanda Quick/ Jayne Ann Krentz/ Jayne Castle, Julie Garwood, Judith MacNaught are also favourites of mine for series. (Although, some stories are only loosely related)

Argh... I can't afford to get into any more series! They play havoc with my wallet! I tend to become quite obsessive in wanting to collect all of the books in the series! And I am SO impatient as well!