Pages

Monday, October 01, 2007

Favorite Mysteries - Susanna Carr


Today my first Harlequin Spice Brief is released. "Anything You Want", written under my Jenesi Ash pen name, isn't a romance but an erotic mystery.

When I was growing up, I read the Nancy Drews, Trixie Beldens, and a few of the Encyclopedia Browns. I read my first "grown up" mystery when I was a freshman in high school. My mother was trying to lure me away from romance novels and bought me Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.

She thought the romantic setting of the story would appeal to me. I don't know why she was more comfortable with me reading about a gruesome death rather than reading about a loving couple finding happiness, but we won't go into that. The story interested me, and although her work lacked sexual tension and a romantic plot, I started adding an Agatha Christie book to my to-be-read pile.

I discovered that I prefer the detective short stories when I took Detective Fiction as one of my university courses. This class allowed me to read so many great short stories that started with a bang, cleverly and quickly presented all the facts, and then gave me a twist in the tail ending. I did a term paper on Agatha Christie's favorite detective, which was Harley Quinn, a mysterious, paranormal figure who starred in some of the most creative short stories she produced. And as much as I like Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, Harley Quinn is my favorite Agatha Christie detective, too.

Do you have a favorite mystery writer or favorite fictional detective?

Susanna

9 comments:

Laura K said...

First of all, I am excited to have found you again! Read and loved "Beckon" an earlier book by you. When I started doing some research, I saw you didn't leave at all.

My favorite is Sharon McCone from Maria Muller's mystery series. I also like the ditzy Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's best selling series, too.

Lois said...

Sherlock Holmes, hands down! :) I did like The Maltese Falcon when I read it. . . and I read two Phillip Marlowe books, but good old SH for me! :)

Lois

Anonymous said...

Up until about 5 years ago, I read mysteries almost exclusively. I've always preferred the "cozy", lighter mysteries, usually with an amatuer detective. One of my favorite authors is Maddy Hunter. She writes this comedic series about a young lady (Emily Andrew) who is a tour chaperone for a seniors group who are traveling all around the world. And of course, she's always stumbling upon a body and has to solve the mystery.

Nathalie said...

My favorite is Phyllis Whitney because she mixes Gothic romance and mystery.

Maureen said...

I haven't read her books in a while but Mary Higgins Clark is a favorite.

Karen H said...

My favorite mystery writer is Shirley Tallman with her Sarah Woolson mystery trilogy, followed closely by James Patterson.

CrystalGB said...

My favorite Patricia Cornwell. Her heroine is Kay Scarpetta.

Sue A. said...

Leslie Glass writes crime novels of psychological suspense, romance and murder featuring Asian American NYPD detective, April Woo.

I found the lead character refreshing and her friends and family are all funny, sweet and likeable.

Lily said...

I loved Holly in Sarah Mason's Playing James.