Pages

Friday, October 19, 2007

Fangs and Frenemies by Megan Crane

I have recently become obsessed with the show Blood Ties on Lifetime. I like the tough, no-nonsense heroine, but let's not kid ourselves, it's really all about the delicious 480 year old vampire, Henry Fitzroy.



What is it about vampires that seizes hold of the imagination? This is a question my fiance asks me often these days, as I plow through one JR Ward after the next, read Michelle Rowen, wait with bated breath for the new Angel comic, watch Moonlight, and even watched the Kindred: the Embraced marathon on the SciFi channel the other day. (Full disclosure: I own the Kindred: the Embraced DVD.) Immortal, other, sexy, dangerous. The ultimate bad boys, those fanged ones, and it helps that they tend to be awfully pretty as well.

The funny thing is that I don't write vampire books. You would think I did, given the obsession over here. But no. I have to try to make my fully human heroes and love interests as compelling as the immortal undead, and that's not easy. Maybe next time I should try a fang or two. Though you could argue that my latest book, which is about friendships among women, has its share of fangs-- it's just that in the case of Frenemies, it's the sort of fangs you tend not to see until they're stuck in your back...

7 comments:

Lee said...

I am so with you on the vampire craze! I'm totally hooked on Moonlight (he's hot!) but I've never managed to catch an episode of the Lifetime series. I'll have to set my dvr to record it.

Have you seen Underworld and Underworld Evolution? OMG. So good!! I wish I could wear leather and look as wonderful as Kate Beckinsale. :)

For anyone who hasn't already picked up a copy of FRENEMIES by Megan Crane, you need to do it now! It's fun to read and really really well written. I'm so hooked on anything by Megan Crane!

Mitchy said...

I love vampires. I've been reading fanfics about vampires since age 10. I have read Dracula and the Historian... But I haven't read any actual vampire romance. I think my obsession with vampires are darker than what would be published under a romance category. Of course, I have yet to check them out.

I don't want to sound a bit weird, but to be honest the biting and the blood... are really sexy. *hehe* Uhh. I could farther explain my obsession, but it would just be to awkward. I have theories about why other people are obsessed with it too..

Megan Crane said...

If you want dark vampires, I suggest you check out the JR Ward books. Seriously. And from what I understand, there are even darker ones out there. People share your need for darkness!

I'm back to watching Blood Ties... for the second time...

Mitchy said...

Megan! thanks! I will check our JR Ward. I have heard many good things about Ward's books. I will try to find the darker ones you talk about too. Great post! I feel less weird daily.

Michele L. said...

Hi Megan,

I just fell in love with the paranormal craze with everyone else! I have read Candace Haven's books, Charmed & Deadly, Shana Abe's The Dream Thief, and The Smoke Thief, etc. They are all sensational books!

Oooo....your book looks fang-tastic! I definitely will have to corner one soon! Love the cover and the spelling fun!

Michele

Laura K said...

I'm hooked on the hottie from Moonlight, too!! Wouldn't kick him out of my abode.

Love the title of the book. I have had frenemies in my life- haven't we all.

Megan Crane said...

There are way too many frenemies out there, in my opinion! I hope you all enjoy the book!

Blood Ties keeps getting better and better. As do those JR Ward books. I am late to the vampire thing (because it took me so long to get over Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I won't lie) and now I can't seem to get enough!